Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Train: Lowering it question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011 | 08:45 PM
NightShifter
|
Novice
Default Night Train: Lowering it question.

Hey guys,
I ride a 2007 train and lowering the bike called my attention after seeing a few pics. I dig it.

Couple questions for ya...

1. Did you lowered the rear end only or both front end as well?
2. The ride, in my experience lowering my personal truck, the truck is not the same anymore. Much difference after lowering it?
3. Ive seen on ebay these lowering kits. They seem to have different price ranges from $40, $60 to $120. Whats the deal here?

Thoughts, recommendations?

Thanx,
Mick.

Old 06-21-2011 | 08:54 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member

Will be a harder ride with bolts. No difference between 20 or 120 ones

Old 06-21-2011 | 09:00 PM
bradleym03
Intermediate

I lowered my 07 train using wild1 bolts in the back and the progressive drop in kit for the front. Some people have complained using the bolts. It is a little stiffer, but over all i couldn't really tell the difference. I probably could see doing lowering shocks if you ride two up all the time, just for that extra give. But i usually ride solo so that's why i went with the bolts.

Old 06-21-2011 | 09:15 PM
TheNameIs"B"
Tourer

The bolts didn't sound fun to install so I used this kit:
http://www.softailloweringkit.com/index.html

It was super easy and looks great. I haven't lowered the front yet, but plan on it. The ride feels the same unless I hit a pothole or something and it jars more than it did before. For $100 I highly recommend this kit, if you got the cash get a shotgun air shock.

Old 06-21-2011 | 09:16 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Bolts are fine. $20 on ebay. Ride is better than a rigid. A little.

Old 06-21-2011 | 09:36 PM
bill in okc
Advanced

My NT was dropped in back when I bought it and I like the look. The front was low, maybe 1/2" of fork travel. I don't think it was lowered though, just undersprung maybe? I couldn't take the jarring when I hit potholes, etc so I put some stronger (.95) springs in and gold valves. The front is probably near stock height now and it handles OK. I'd like more ground clearance but its not going to happen.

Old 06-21-2011 | 09:49 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member

I lowered the rear of my Deluxe with bolts. The ride is slightly firmer but not enough too complain about. Here is a link to the bolts I bought. There is no difference between them and the $90.00 ones. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Old 06-21-2011 | 09:51 PM
SkyKeeper
Intermediate

I put the JP bolts on mine a couple days before a 4,000 mile trip (didn't require taking the shocks apart) and I think the ride is still decent. It wasn't near as stiff as I thought it would be although I didn't slam it, I left a little bit of room for some travel. If you like the look and don't want to drop the coin on the Shotgun Shock, go with the bolts, you won't notice that much of a difference it handling either. And to answer your first question, I lowered just the rear.

Old 06-21-2011 | 10:14 PM
neilgehrke
Cruiser

Rear: If you can afford it, go Progressive or Air Ride. Better than bolts.

Front: Install shorter tubes. Gives you the drop but maintains smooth suspension. Progressive lowering spring make for a harsh ride.

Old 06-22-2011 | 01:45 AM
Scheers44
Stellar HDF Member

Mick, good question and there's gonna be A LOT of diff answers and opinions. So here's my .02

Lowering Bolts - work great and you can adjust your preload on the shock as needed but kind of a pain once you've got bolts maxed out for lowering, I had mine set almost all the way to stiff. There's no diff in the kits really I had the $20 kit off ebay and ran em up until this past Sunday. Biggest downfall to the kit is shocks have to come out, and be compressed to install new bolts.

There's also the Burnout Cycles kit which is round $100 and can be instaled without compressing shock and has a little more play as far as lowering the bike. Nightrain05 has it on his and has been pretty pleased, I actually bought one but ended up not using it.

Next you can swap out your shocks completely which is a lil less work and more pricy.

Or you can go with Air ride. I went with Shotgun as JD's customer service is 2nd to none and its a sweet and easy install. Yes it is pricy but your ride height and stiffness is totally adjustable and at ur fingertips.

As for the front I got no idea because I like the height there but shorter tubes and stock springs is prob as easy way to go as any.

Quick Reply: Night Train: Lowering it question.