Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:54 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Two Up

So I'm looking to upgrade from a sporty to a Softail. I've narrowed it down to a Deluxe or Fat Boy. Is the a better choice for Two Up?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:10 AM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got one of both. And to be honest...either one works great. It all comes down to what seat and sissybar you put on the bike. They both ride very smoothly and have the same suspension. I bought the larger passenger seat and the big back rest for our Deluxe and it's MUCH nicer to ride two up on that one than my Fat Boy. But only because of the bigger backrest. The ride is the same. So basically, whichever you choose, just get a nice big backrest and the larger pillion seat and your passenger will love you. I got the small back pad and a sissy bar that leans back on my Fat Boy. It's more for looks and to hold a small bag that I use as a truck for carrying daily stuff. I didn't get it for comfort.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 AM
cycleman11
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts

I have an 08 Heritage Softail and my wife & I both find it comfortable for touring. Bike has the passenger back rest and the standard seats, but I believe the rear is the larger version. A lot will depend on you & yours physical dimensions.

If you plan on doing some touring on the Softail, you might as well look at the Heritage model as it comes with the extra stuff you are going to need, bags & shield and is cheaper in the long run.

I can't comment on the Fat Boy for touring, but I think you'll find more folks tour on the Softail than the Fat Boy.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its the same bike with slight modifications. IMO any softail will handle two up just fine. Personally I like a Heritage or Deluxe with bags so there is room to stow the junk needed on longer outings but they can both be stripped down to nice lean daytrippers.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 AM
moog5050
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Lo and my wife and I ride two up often. We don't do any touring but for day runs, it works great. I use the stock pillion and the lean back sissy bar with a small pad. She doesn't complaint but is also petite, unlike me. Like jbg said, with a larger pillion and bigger backrest, I can't see why long distance runs would be a problem.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:12 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Dont overlook a Heritage..

Wife and I ride 2-4hrs every day we can, With the touring seat, pad and floorboards she's a happy camper.. plus U'll have bags for storage and a shield to protect U.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:28 AM
jed1069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either one can be made to be great 2 up bikes. You need a good seat, backrest/sissybar, and good pegs/floorboards for a passenger. If you are going to be doing a bunch of 2 up riding look into a set of bags as well. Cool thing is all of these are available as quick detach so in a matter of moments you can have a stripped down solo bike.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:15 AM
CJinNH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride 2 up a lot on my fatboy, I added a small backrest and changed back to the stock seat, which my wife (with major back issues) says is super comfortable for her. The biggest thing that made things comfortable was the addition of passenger footboards. She says it made a world of difference, she was able to relax on the back instead of worrying about where her feet were at all times on the pegs. Only thing with that is you need to change exhaust to install passenger footboards, I believe on either bike (since they both have the shotgun exhaust that covers the stock mounting hole.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a Lo as well and ride 2 up for the most part. Def had to get the larger passenger pillion for the wife. She loves it and no more complaints about a sore butt. I have a the quick detach windshield and back rest. Works out great can strip here down for a solo rind in a few min.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I have a Lo as well and ride 2 up for the most part. Def had to get the larger passenger pillion for the wife. She loves it and no more complaints about a sore butt. I have a the quick detach windshield and back rest. Works out great can strip here down for a solo rind in a few min.
This looks perfect. the detachable big pillow and extra sized sissy looks like it would do the trick.

I love the Softails and hope i can find the right one.

Quick Reply: Two Up