Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big bore kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011 | 09:59 PM
02hdfatboy
|
Novice
Default big bore kit

Ok so I have a 2002 fatboy and already done cams and carp I'm considering the big bore kit what shout I go with and how hard is it to do yourself

Old 06-18-2011 | 10:22 PM
Sadthorn
Cruiser

I would recommend having a HD tech do that for you. If you have experience rebuilding other engines, then the HD motor should be simple for you to do it.

There's several aftermarket companies to choose from for a 95" big bore kit. I use wiseco piston kits and have a local machinist bore the cylinders for me. There are also options available to you from the current HD screamin' eagle book, that have pistons and cylinders to match. S&S makes a nice kit too. A little pricey, but quality kits. I have installed a few for customers who prefer S&S. Hope this gets you thinking about research and finding a kit that will work for you.

Old 06-18-2011 | 10:26 PM
SMF
Banned

Id say get a indie to do it, and hit up fuel moto they can make a kit for you that will get you good numbers

Old 06-18-2011 | 10:28 PM
02hdfatboy
|
Novice

Yea I've done some motor work to cars all the time just wasn't sure about the bike thanks for the info

Old 06-19-2011 | 01:20 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member

i have a 1550 with andrews 37 cams, S&S carb, 2 into 1, goes good!! didnt do it myself, if you no what you doing souldnt be to hard, still have to get cylinders bored etc!!
next i want to convert to hydraulic cam tensioners and maybe some SE heads

Old 06-19-2011 | 07:42 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 02hdfatboy
Ok so I have a 2002 fatboy and already done cams and carp I'm considering the big bore kit what shout I go with and how hard is it to do yourself
Which cam do you have in there? I'd say to do the job yourself if you have the tools and confidence in your basic technical skills and can understand what you read in the manual. You have many options for 95" big bore kits. If you go with SE you can get a 20% discount at many dealers, Zanotti's being one but there are others. Personally, if I had to do it over, I'd go 98" and send my cylinders to Hillside (a sponsor on this site) to have them bored and they have a proprietary Wiseco piston that they install. They can do your heads as well and match them to the demands of the cam. Call Scott Palmer up at Hillside and discuss what you want, he's a good guy and will give you good info even if he's not doing any work for you. I would not do a big bore without having the heads done. The Harley service manual is well written and easy to understand for a novice. You can get a DVD that shows you how to do a cam and big bore from http://www.kiwiprocycle.com/mvt/index.htm. Shows you how to do what's in the manual, good for a visual learner. Use Cometic gaskets throughout. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2011 | 08:44 AM
mike06train
Road Captain

I've had a set of bored HD cyclinders and a set of screamin eagle 10.25:1 pistons sitting in my garage for 2 years now. The bike runs so good the way it is, everytime I go to tear it appart I can't bring myself to do it. The work on the motor is really not that hard. Doing the cams is much harder then the big bore kit. If your fuel injected, you'll need a breakin map until you have enough miles you can get it on the dyno to get it dialed in.

Old 06-19-2011 | 08:58 AM
02hdfatboy
|
Novice

I have the se211 in now don't no if the would work good with those but I love them now

Originally Posted by roadkingharry
Which cam do you have in there? I'd say to do the job yourself if you have the tools and confidence in your basic technical skills and can understand what you read in the manual. You have many options for 95" big bore kits. If you go with SE you can get a 20% discount at many dealers, Zanotti's being one but there are others. Personally, if I had to do it over, I'd go 98" and send my cylinders to Hillside (a sponsor on this site) to have them bored and they have a proprietary Wiseco piston that they install. They can do your heads as well and match them to the demands of the cam. Call Scott Palmer up at Hillside and discuss what you want, he's a good guy and will give you good info even if he's not doing any work for you. I would not do a big bore without having the heads done. The Harley service manual is well written and easy to understand for a novice. You can get a DVD that shows you how to do a cam and big bore from http://www.kiwiprocycle.com/mvt/index.htm. Shows you how to do what's in the manual, good for a visual learner. Use Cometic gaskets throughout. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2011 | 09:26 AM
mike06train
Road Captain

211 work great. Especially if you bump the compression up to compensate for the overlap.

Old 06-19-2011 | 10:30 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

The 211 is a great cam. It comes on a little later than some other cams but will give you a lot of usable power. If you have worked on cars before an engine build on a Harley should not be too difficult. There is nothing like the pride you get from doing it yourself.

As far as what kit, there are a lot choices. I did the Screaming Eagle 95" kit so I would not have to wait for my cylinders to be bored or anything else. I kept me heads stock for now as I want longevity on my engine that already has a lot of miles on it.

I run a 203 cam which com,es on earlier but does not give as much power up high. fI am going to be digging into my cam chest again this week as I w2ill be adding the newer Hydraulic style tensioners and bigger oil pump that my older (2002) bike lacks. Assuming my cams look fine I will reuse the same ones.

If you did the cams yourself you can do the big bore yourself no problem.

Drew

Quick Reply: big bore kit