Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Primary Cover: New Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:50 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting Primary Cover: New Gasket?

Is it worth the $35 for a primary gasket if I paint the cover? I'm changing the fluids next weekend and figured I could do it while it's empty.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:00 PM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Well not necessary if it came off in 1 piece, but as a precaution use a thin bead of Permatex for insurance. My advice is to install new one, but that's just me and not digging leaks after installing something new...

Old 06-18-2011, 01:49 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Every time I go to reuse a gasket it always leaks. I hate oil drips and just bite the bullet and buy new ones now.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i replaced mine when i PC'd the primary cover, idk where you're getting $35 from, I got a new gasket from my dealer for like $13 or something.. but i had 700 miles on the bike and just did it for some peace of mind.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:37 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrWalkinboner
Is it worth the $35 for a primary gasket if I paint the cover? I'm changing the fluids next weekend and figured I could do it while it's empty.
Pull a gasket .... replace a gasket. But....you are getting ripped off at $35 ...Google Surdyke ... call em .... order one. Or go to another dealership ... $15 tops.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:37 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cpiad
Pull a gasket .... replace a gasket. But....you are getting ripped off at $35 ...Google Surdyke ... call em .... order one. Or go to another dealership ... $15 tops.
Do not use permatex ...

Old 06-19-2011, 07:48 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

Do not use permatex ...
Really now. Ok, school me on why not. I've used that stuff for over 30 years on all types of bikes and NEVER had an issue. I also did not say to substitute it for the gasket, although that can be done too, I said to add a thin bead to the old one as insurance.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:10 AM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TIPN8R
Really now. Ok, school me on why not. I've used that stuff for over 30 years on all types of bikes and NEVER had an issue. I also did not say to substitute it for the gasket, although that can be done too, I said to add a thin bead to the old one as insurance.

Jeepers ... first off. Don't take it personal ok. These forums are mostly opinions ... you got yours ....I got mine. Now ... back to why not use permatex. 1. Even if you are sparing ... some of it will ooze into the case causing flakes that get all over the place. 2. The stuff WILL plug oil holes. 3. If it hardens and sticks ... people will use metal scrapers to remove it ... inevitably marring the AL mating surface.

We used permatex gasket sealer in the 60's and 70's .... on stampef steal valve covers ... cork gaskets .... and iron heads. Tolerances were crap then .... the thin steel head covers would warp ... and gasket material was for shtt. None of that is true today. If you have good mating surfaces that have not been damaged .. there is NO need for permatex sealant ... and it can do more harm than good. Permatex makes a host of other products I use everyday ... like antiseize paste etc.

My opinion .... I am not insulting you .... nor do I intend it to be an attack on you it your experience. Just my 40+ years of wrenching on gas and diesel engines.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member

Jeepers ... first off. Don't take it personal ok. These forums are mostly opinions ... you got yours ....I got mine. Now ... back to why not use permatex. 1. Even if you are sparing ... some of it will ooze into the case causing flakes that get all over the place. 2. The stuff WILL plug oil holes. 3. If it hardens and sticks ... people will use metal scrapers to remove it ... inevitably marring the AL mating surface.

We used permatex gasket sealer in the 60's and 70's .... on stampef steal valve covers ... cork gaskets .... and iron heads. Tolerances were crap then .... the thin steel head covers would warp ... and gasket material was for shtt. None of that is true today. If you have good mating surfaces that have not been damaged .. there is NO need for permatex sealant ... and it can do more harm than good. Permatex makes a host of other products I use everyday ... like antiseize paste etc.

My opinion .... I am not insulting you .... nor do I intend it to be an attack on you it your experience. Just my 40+ years of wrenching on gas and diesel engines.
Nothing personal taken. I am always open minded hence the term "school me". All the examples you've given can happen with an unexperienced mechanic using the stuff. Meaning, if you choose to glob it on the sealing surfaces allowing it to ooze into the cases, then yes, I agree. But if you use the stuff the way it was intended to be used then it's perfectly safe to use.

We have used that stuff on engine cases on Shovels, EVO's, and Pans for years w/o any sort of engine failures. I've seen plenty of cases that were pitted and chipped where a gasket could never seal it. But with the use of permatex it got into those crevices where a gasket couldn't therefore sealed the leak.

Agree on todays metals and surfaces being better than the past, but there is always someone using a prybar, screwdriver or other tools as means of scraping off gaskets and marring those surfaces, which unfortunately usually result in a "not so flat" surface anymore.

I do agree that in most cases to use a new gasket on anything that requires one. The new gaskets todays such as Jims come with a nice bead of silicone impregnated in them to insure no leaks.

But in a bind when no new gasket is readily available, there is no reason to not use permatex, as instructed.

I too wrench on everything from Briggs motors to diesel's, but will say when it comes to diesels all bets are off for silicone as gasket makers!

It's all good. I never took what you said as a personal blast but mine was my own opinion as is yours too. Ride safe my friend!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:12 PM
luke2692
Advanced

I just had my primary cover powder coated and didn't have to change the gasket. it hasn't leaked a drop yet either and it has been about a month. i say try it. if it leaks, you can drain the fluids, put the gasket on then, and put the fluids right back into it. just make sure you put the fluids in a CLEAN container.

Quick Reply: Painting Primary Cover: New Gasket?