Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pickup screen for the scavenge side of oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts
Default 'NO' Pickup screen for the scavenge side of oil pump

Does anyone have a picture of the screen in a Harley motor were the oil goes in to on its way to the scavenge side of the oil pump on its way back to the oil tank(bag)
Were is it located. Appears to be in bottom of cam case on bottom of cam plate. Is this correct?
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-20-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:48 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

IIRC, it goes in the top hole.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by kk6pg
IIRC, it goes in the top hole.
Return out of the engine before oil pump.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:30 PM
oldwildwally
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bottom left of cam plate ..has a tiny roll pin as retainer

Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldwildwally
bottom left of cam plate ..has a tiny roll pin as retainer
Thanks Wally, Does it have a fine screen on it like a pickup in a car? How big is it? By it being that high,there is quite a bit of oil left in the lower sump. I know when I popped the cam cover there was at least a 1/4 quart in there and it appears 2-3 time that in the sump.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 PM
oldwildwally
Tourer

scavenger inlet is on bottom left of PUMP ...sorry for previous ..if you are looking at pump after removing cam plate there are 2 tubes at the left of the pump 7 o'clock position ...the top one is the one that goes in the case with the o ring and the scavenging one is the lower of the 2 .......no screen no filter ....just a .450 hole going right into the scavenging rotors of the pump ..I am holding a replacement harley pump in my hand as I write ...using 1 finger .......unless you starved the engine of oil when you stopped it (kept it running with no return oil)it will keep that amount in the sump at all times ....that is what is supposed to be in there not the amount you end up with cause the oem pump could not scavenge quick enough resulting in the notorious oil puke out the breather ..............

Last edited by oldwildwally; 06-18-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

I attached couple pictures. This port 35 .45 opening. Is it just open at the bottom or is it up against the port 34 in my attachment. Think port 33 on the flywheel side is part 34 on the cam chest side. This research for me is me wondering how some posters that I am following have this 'notorious oil puke out the breather'

Also note the screen port 40 that had me confused. It's the screen for my hydraulic tensioners on my balance chain

Thanks

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:44 PM
oldwildwally
Tourer

#25 on your pic B is the .450 port that goes directly to the scavenging gears on the pump with no screen of any type .........#35 in pic B goes to port#34 in pic C and also goes directly to the scavenging gears in the oil pump
As to what is on the crank side I can not tell you till next week as I have recieved most of my parts for my rebuild ..just waiting for a set of 32 thou head gaskets and I will be tearing down the bottom end to replace the cam plate and tensioners and will look through that port then ..............it would seem odd to have a screen on one and not the other .....so there are 2 scavenging points for this oil pump 1 in the cam gallery and 1 in the crank case at different heights
Was talking to Dave Mackie where I had my barrels bored and he is of the opinion that the puking is just the inability of the stock oil pump to keep up with the flow of oil at sustained highway speeds ...his thought was that the case fills with oil right up to the heads and then out the breathers ..........might be true as when you order the replacement oil pump or cam chain kit that comes with a new oil pump it tells you how the new pump has x % better scavenging and y% better pressure than the stock pump ....and if there was nothing wrong with the stock oil pump then why would they "give" you a better improved one ?
I am not totally convinced about this because if the crank case was that full of oil wouldn't the pistons be hydrolicing as in trying to compress oil on every downstroke ? That would really slow down the crank and pistons to be running in THAT much oil .......just a thought

Old 06-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

[quote=oldwildwally;8473989I am not totally convinced about this because if the crank case was that full of oil wouldn't the pistons be hydraulicking as in trying to compress oil on every down stroke ? That would really slow down the crank and pistons to be running in THAT much oil .......just a thought[/quote]

Agree totally with above. Engine would come to a hydraulic lockup or blow the cylinders off the crank case whichever came first. Just rebuild a 350 Cameo with Al heads that was eating water till it locked up. Son picked it up sitting in front of the owners house for pocket change. The front of the starter was broken off from trying to start it with water in the cylinder. Do the same thing with oil under under the piston. Problem may lie in the fact that the head drain on a Harley is routed through passage ways back to the pickup that the least amount of blockage may affect one if it were to become blocked. It would have to come from top side, not bottom. Nothing wrong with stock pump, least 04 forward. I am working on some jpeg's to post here to help clarify it for others. Most peoples problems are a few drips and they think quarts.
Another problem that even Harley owns up to is the breather block gasket will fit 180 out of location and will block the passage. Just looking do not understand since it does not look like it will go 180 but I have never been into a Harley that deep yet.
The only screen is on the pressure side of just a Softail. It's filtered oil coming from the filter going to the Hydraulic tensioners of the balance chain. I can only guess that Harley was concerned that someone would let the filter get clogged and then have unfiltered oil going to the hydraulic tensioners . It would be bad on the lifters but you can get to them if they got stuck. The balance tensioners is a total tear down.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-20-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:55 PM
oldwildwally
Tourer

a little further thought on the pistons compressing the oil ........as each one is on the down stroke the other is on the up ...leaving room to push the oil around ....also the return oil ports in the head are open to the crankcase allowing oil to be PUSHED backwards up the return to the head ....so it is possible ....its not like in the situation where the fluid is in the valves closed compression chamber resulting in a hyd lock ....had a customers gas engine shunt tractor where they had left the manual switch for the fuel pump on all night and filled the cyl with gas ...and then when it wouldn't turn over they had tryed to tow start it ......when I pulled out the connecting rods on that beefy 366 truck engine they were bent in an "S" kept one on my shop wall for years .......and rewired the pump to the ign...........I have seen customers cars with 8 qts of oil in the pan .....they did run like **** and were putting foam out the breathers ........

I don't see the possibility of 180 on the gaskets.....the bottom one is an o ring ...next and top are both triangle shaped gaskets ...impossible to 180 ....top to bottom yes but they are just composition gaskets with no up or down marked on the new ones I have .......
totally agree on the drops looking like quarts ...... Mr Mackie also said a common prob was people checking thier oil hot when a 1/2 qt or better is still in the engine and sump and then topping off resulting in an overfill

Quick Reply: Pickup screen for the scavenge side of oil pump