Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harley Speedometer/Tach.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Greg755
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Harley Speedometer/Tach.

Was looking at the new speedo/tach at Harley it is pretty sharp. The only problem is it will only work on 10/11 models and I have an 08... It has something to do with reading the mileage (wont read it on the 08) where on the new models it is stored on the speedo itself and on the 08 it is stored on the computer??? (or vise versa) Does anybody know of a work around for this? Is there a similar after market product that will work on the 08 crossbones??

Old 06-16-2011, 01:53 PM
rcmty
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Greg755, I install one on my 09 Heritage and all info is stored in the on board computer. I had to hook it up to a link under my seat and it loaded up my current milege. I put one on my sons 10 fatboy lo and it loaded up the same way. They make two versions one for the 11 models and one that I know will fit the 09. If you check it might fit the 08 I just don't remember what all years it covers. The install is about 10 minutes very simple.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:32 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Greg755
Was looking at the new speedo/tach at Harley it is pretty sharp. The only problem is it will only work on 10/11 models and I have an 08... It has something to do with reading the mileage (wont read it on the 08) where on the new models it is stored on the speedo itself and on the 08 it is stored on the computer??? (or vise versa) Does anybody know of a work around for this? Is there a similar after market product that will work on the 08 crossbones??
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

They make it for the '08-'10 models too. check the link above. Really nice to have. Shows me what gear I'm in and gas and lights are AWESOME at night.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Totally Bored
Road Captain

Have one on my bike.

Wish I knew what all the little lights and indicaters do. Anybody have a photo or info that expains it all ?

Last edited by Totally Bored; 06-16-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Greg755
Cruiser

JBG Thanks for the link. As usual the parts guy dosen't know crap. I called back to them and showed them this page and lo and behold they have one sitting there on the shelf... Sad thing is that it was there yesterday when I asked them about it... Because I have to make a second trip, they are going to install it for free...
This board rocks... Now if I can only have one of you guys get on Metal Arts *** about the horns I ordered 11 weeks ago... Thanks Brother...

Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Greg755
Cruiser

That didnt take long... Install was about 5 Min's. 1 cable under the dash, and 1 quick hook up to the computer with an adapter cable to get the readings (the adapter cable does not stay on just used to get readings then take it off and replug the normal wire) and then its just a matter of setting the clock and other features in the set up menu. Only problem I have is setting the colors because I don't have my reading glasses so I think I missed a step. Anyways all is good. The dealer told me I was the first to buy one, he says every body loves it but no one has bought one yet. I see these guys spend $400 on a headlight or a couple of hundred just to have a tach installed, so I figure $299 was a pretty good deal...
Much more info then the old speedo, plus a tach... I agree they should have put a diagram in the instructions to tell you what all the idiot lights are.....

Old 06-17-2011, 12:58 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Greg755
JBG Thanks for the link. As usual the parts guy dosen't know crap. I called back to them and showed them this page and lo and behold they have one sitting there on the shelf... Sad thing is that it was there yesterday when I asked them about it... Because I have to make a second trip, they are going to install it for free...
This board rocks... Now if I can only have one of you guys get on Metal Arts *** about the horns I ordered 11 weeks ago... Thanks Brother...
I had the exact same experience. They didn't know it existed until I found it online (through the HD Forum people) and went in and showed them the page. No idea why HD doesn't educate their employees when new items are released. It's a decent price too. You'd think they'd be trying to show them off and sell more of them.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:55 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by jbg
I had the exact same experience. They didn't know it existed until I found it online (through the HD Forum people) and went in and showed them the page. No idea why HD doesn't educate their employees when new items are released. It's a decent price too. You'd think they'd be trying to show them off and sell more of them.
Perhaps, the mini-supplemental catalog is hitting the parts/service areas after HD is updating the websites. Even then some of the parts aren't released until after the catalog is out. I know when I was at two different local dealerships, they were trying to find out if the combo speedo/tach had a working clock in it before they had it in stock. They did find the instructions, but as anyone knows who has the combo speedo/tach, the instructions are very lacking and don't have anything about the clock. Three of us stood around the bike after mine was installed trying to figure out how to program the colored lighting. It was a learning experience for everyone at that time.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Greg755
Cruiser

Setiing up the clock and gear reading was really easy... The color thing has me a bit twisted but I will get it Figured out...

Old 06-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Firemed509
Tourer

Here is the thread that was started awhile back on this speedo. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...edo-combo.html

Quick Reply: New Harley Speedometer/Tach.