Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stressed about ape install

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 AM
rrambo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stressed about ape install

So I was chomping at the bit waiting for my RSD apes and risers to be shipped.. Now they should be here Friday.. So last night I read all the threads about installs... yeah, I'm dreading it.. I knew it was involved, but damn...

Anyone got words of encouragement!!??

Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 AM
HeresyFnord
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not that bad at all. Once you dig in, you'll realize that the horror stories you read aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 AM
bromley5
Intermediate

just take your time and be patient. you make more mistakes when you hurry. And remember it will all be worth it. I ride a 04 Fatboy with 16" apes and love it.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:16 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Yeah, same here. I'll be tearing into mine in within the next couple weeks, as well. I'm really looking forward to all that I'll learn from it, but detest those unexpected and unforeseen snags that always require a new or different tool/part/procedure and causes the project to drag on for way longer than initially intended.

Do you mind pointing me to all those threads you previewed, cuz I can't seem to find much in the bar/ape install tutorials...

Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 AM
rrambo
Tourer

one thing I hadn't factored in was needing to remove the gas tank.. that seems like a PITA...

Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Yeah, same here. I'll be tearing into mine in within the next couple weeks, as well. I'm really looking forward to all that I'll learn from it, but detest those unexpected and unforeseen snags that always require a new or different tool/part/procedure and causes the project to drag on for way longer than initially intended.

Do you mind pointing me to all those threads you previewed, cuz I can't seem to find much in the bar/ape install tutorials...
I read all the links that were posted in the following thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-softails.html

Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Pete838
Cruiser

Hardest part is the wiring, and even that is simple if you go one wire at a time.

Cut, strip, put the shrink tube on, solder, solder, heat. On to the next wire.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:27 AM
J-Dog
Advanced

Hey bro, i just did min a couple of weeks ago, and its way worth it. just take your time, and dont rush stuff. I wish i would of done my own wiring, because the burly extension kit caused me problems. depending on the size of apes, you may be able to pull the wires through and then add the extensions. i put on 16 in gangsters on and i had about 4 inches to spare.

Good luck bro.

Jason

Old 06-15-2011, 09:31 AM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pete838
Hardest part is the wiring, and even that is simple if you go one wire at a time.

Cut, strip, put the shrink tube on, solder, solder, heat. On to the next wire.
actually that's the part that I'm NOT worried about.. I've been doing wiring all my life.. it's the taking everything off.. console, tank, exhaust.. and getting the brake, clutch, throttle re-connected without breaking something or not having the right tools...

Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 AM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by J-Dog
Hey bro, i just did min a couple of weeks ago, and its way worth it. just take your time, and dont rush stuff. I wish i would of done my own wiring, because the burly extension kit caused me problems. depending on the size of apes, you may be able to pull the wires through and then add the extensions. i put on 16 in gangsters on and i had about 4 inches to spare.

Good luck bro.

Jason
yep, I got the Burly kit also... 16 inch RSD apes....

Quick Reply: Stressed about ape install