Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stressed about ape install

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM
JPL
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definetely no need to remove the tank...
The clutch cable was the part I was most worried about but it ended up being the easiest in my opinion... just analyze everything before taking it off and remember where everything goes, and you shouldnt have a problem. FIrst time I did the install, and doing that took me 5 minutes...

Old 06-15-2011, 01:02 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Important: Don't forget to put the cardboard shim under the brake lever before you remove the switch housing!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:06 PM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by JakesDad1
Very Important: Don't forget to put the cardboard shim under the brake lever before you remove the switch housing!!!!!!!!!
would someone PLEASE explain that part to me.... where exactly does the cardboard go?? is the point to keep the lever out? (away from the grip-normal position) i'm not understanding the purpose here.. I know it's to keep some plunger (light switch I guess) from breaking, but I don't understand why, how, etc...

Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rrambo
So I was chomping at the bit waiting for my RSD apes and risers to be shipped.. Now they should be here Friday.. So last night I read all the threads about installs... yeah, I'm dreading it.. I knew it was involved, but damn...

Anyone got words of encouragement!!??
Deep Breaths my friend. Easy install 3-4 hrs and a sixer or two.

Stone

Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 PM
blksoftail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would someone PLEASE explain that part to me.... where exactly does the cardboard go?? is the point to keep the lever out? (away from the grip-normal position) i'm not understanding the purpose here.. I know it's to keep some plunger (light switch I guess) from breaking, but I don't understand why, how, etc...
When you see it, it will make more sense.

Basically the tab on the lever that hits the switch to activate the brake will be in contact with it and can break it. You want to basically pull the lever in so the tab is at the end of the switch instead of in front of it if that makes sense.

I didn't use a cardboard piece, I just grab the lever and squeeze it as I put it on and off or a washer will work.

The card board or washer goes between the lever and the master cylinder where it rotates just to make the lever go in a bit if that makes sense.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:58 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by blksoftail
When you see it, it will make more sense.

Basically the tab on the lever that hits the switch to activate the brake will be in contact with it and can break it. You want to basically pull the lever in so the tab is at the end of the switch instead of in front of it if that makes sense.

I didn't use a cardboard piece, I just grab the lever and squeeze it as I put it on and off or a washer will work.

The card board or washer goes between the lever and the master cylinder where it rotates just to make the lever go in a bit if that makes sense.
I don't get it either. I've had mine on/off half-dozen times and never had a problem.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:18 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installing the bars seems more intimidating going into it than it will after you're done. I've found that is true with a lot of work I've done on my bike. But I figure that no matter how bad I could screw it up, there's always someone who can fix it, though I haven't had that happen yet, and I've learned a lot and saved money.

When you're done you'll see.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Elijah
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it really is an easy job, sounds like you are over thinking it....
in sum:

- no need to remove the tank, just the bolts so it can be moved

- may need to remove exhaust (i had to) to get to tranny cover

- snap ring pliers makes things alot easier (although it CAN be done without one)

- make sure you have tranny fulid and DOT4 on hand, your gonna need them

- solder your connections, no butt connectors

- label wires with masking tape

- use fishing line and lead sinker to feed wires through new bars

- TAKE YOUR TIME! as in, if you need to quit for the night and go back at
it in the morning, so be it

- try to enjoy it!!!!! modding/wrenching is part of owning the machine!

good luck!!! feel free to PM me if you need to!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:41 AM
rrambo
Tourer

thanks guys... makes me feel better. it just seems like every time I work on it I end up with some problem.. either not sure how to remove something or not having the right tool...

I ordered the NAMZ extensions also.. 15".. actually talked to someone there and they said to get the 15" extensions.. so at least those will save some time...

Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

thanks guys... makes me feel better. it just seems like every time I work on it I end up with some problem.. either not sure how to remove something or not having the right tool...

I ordered the NAMZ extensions also.. 15".. actually talked to someone there and they said to get the 15" extensions.. so at least those will save some time...
You do have an FSM, right?

Quick Reply: Stressed about ape install