Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stressed about ape install

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You may not need to pull the tank. Pull the breather assembly and just lift the front of the tank. That may possibly give you plenty of room.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:39 AM
rrambo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
You may not need to pull the tank. Pull the breather assembly and just lift the front of the tank. That may possibly give you plenty of room.
I like the sound of that a little better.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:42 AM
J-Dog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey bro, the problem i had was with the extensions that burly gives you. If you put them on, and then try to pull the wires through, your going to break all the chinsey connectors on there. i had to learn the hard way.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM
HeresyFnord
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete838
Hardest part is the wiring, and even that is simple if you go one wire at a time.

Cut, strip, put the shrink tube on, solder, solder, heat. On to the next wire.
There are some slick @ss wire extension kits out there, so soldering isn't even an issue.

The biggest issue could be if you don't have as much experience wrenching on your bike...you'll run into problems that'll take a little longer to fix...definitely nothing earth-shattering.

Start early, take your time, stay slow on the beers until you see the finish line.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:53 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rrambo
I like the sound of that a little better.
You don't have to remove the tank. Remove the seat, remove the rear tank bolt, remove the front tank bolt, remove the fuel line quick disconnect from tank, slide tank back.

The hardest part will be the clutch cable. Get some BIG snap ring pliers and you'll be set.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:54 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Just remove the front and rear tank bolts and gas line and slide the tank back. You should have plenty of room top do what you need. No need to remove the tank. Oops, i see I was beat to the answer. LOL.

Drew

Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 AM
rrambo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys.. and thanks to Drew for helping me pick everything out and get it ordered... just how big do the snap ring pliers need to be for the clutch cable??? I've got a pair but they aren't the highest quality.. and the fuel line disconnect.. other than telling me to RTFM, how do you disconnect it?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although they are right, this job can be done with the tank on, it is only a few more minutes to empty the tank and pull it off.

After you do it the first time and realize how easy it really is, you will pull it off without thinking for future jobs. Like all jobs on these bikes the first time is the worst because you don't know what you are getting yourself into, but once done you will have the pride of a job well done.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I have pulled and slid the tank. I will slide it any day over pulling it. Yeah, pulling it isn't hard, it's just messy.

As for the quick disconnect, pull up on the collar and down on the fuel line. Have a rag to absorb the little bit of gas that comes out.

I have regular snap ring pliers, it was a pain. That is the biggest snap ring I've ever dealt with. I had to use the pliers with a screwdriver to get it off/on.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 AM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used what I think are regular size snap ring pliers - little bit smaller than lineman's pliers - and it was fairly little effort to get the retaining ring off. Beasley, do you have really small hands? J/K

rrambo, if you're not worried about the wiring, you shouldn't have too much trouble with the bar install. That's the part that I fcked up.

Quick Reply: Stressed about ape install