Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Flat clear coat or Glossy?
Go with the flat clear coat.
68.42%
Go with the glossy clear coat.
31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Custom helmet paint decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Wabbit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Custom helmet paint decision

Hello all,
Well, I'm stuck on choosing a detail on a custom paint job on my helmet. The helmet is a Gmax half helmet and has sort of the shape of our helmets. So I'm having it done in the ACU camo pattern our uniforms use, with the addition of some custom graphics. I figured it would be pretty original.

Ok, the part I can't decide on is whether or not to go with the flat clear coat or glossy. If it's flat, it would look more like an actual helmet.

The guy doing the custom paint says it would look too authentic. Like a cloth helmet cover pulled over the helmet with the graphics sewn on. He thinks that the helmet would look better with a gloss clear coat, that it would be more apparent that it is custom paint and that it would make the additional graphics pop more.

What do you all think?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Rusty Shackelferd
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to go with the instiks of the artist. Sounds like a sweet lookin cover!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Flat... As a prior soldier myself, you know there is nothing in the military's inventory that is "Gloss". Only flat colored paints. I vote flat, to stay with the Military style.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:00 PM
socal yankee
Road Warrior

I like the idea of a flat black. I used to wear glossy when I rode my Yamaha r6. Flat black is more Harley, more soul.
Cant wait to see pix. Good luck.
Jason.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I'd go flat clear, if it doesn't look good or too "authentic" - which would also depend on the custom graphics -, you can always get it polished.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 PM
tc1816
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the finish of your bike? glossy or flat? I say go with the glossy finish but thats my opinion.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 PM
snook592
Club Member

your helmet is flat and if that is what you are matching then you don't need to even ask this question as flat is the only way to go.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wabbit
Hello all,
Well, I'm stuck on choosing a detail on a custom paint job on my helmet. The helmet is a Gmax half helmet and has sort of the shape of our helmets. So I'm having it done in the ACU camo pattern our uniforms use, with the addition of some custom graphics. I figured it would be pretty original.

Ok, the part I can't decide on is whether or not to go with the flat clear coat or glossy. If it's flat, it would look more like an actual helmet.

The guy doing the custom paint says it would look too authentic. Like a cloth helmet cover pulled over the helmet with the graphics sewn on. He thinks that the helmet would look better with a gloss clear coat, that it would be more apparent that it is custom paint and that it would make the additional graphics pop more.

What do you all think?
I use gloss on the custom jobs I do..looks better and holds up better than matte or flat.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Wabbit
Tourer

Originally Posted by cpiad
I use gloss on the custom jobs I do..looks better and holds up better than matte or flat.
Can you describe that better? I can imagine it looks better in general, particularly when you think of glossy photos vs matte photos. But would that be the best choice considering it is emulating a military helmet and graphics that are normally flat?

Also, what do you mean about it holding up better than matte?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:49 PM
jed1069
Road Master

I would think gloss will wear better with bug splatter.

Quick Reply: Custom helmet paint decision