Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 softail custom headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011 | 01:04 PM
gonepostal
|
Stage III
Default 1993 softail custom headlight problem

Hey all,
New at this so please be patient. I have a 1993 softail custom. Problem is with the headlight. Went to change the bulb and it wouldn't work. Check wires for power, both leads showed 12.5 volts. When I put the load on the wires, I showed no power. Connector was good, but changed it just in case. Tried a total of 3 bulbs, no luck. When I tested the new connector with my battery jumper all bulbs worked. Can't be the fuse because I have power. Haven't checked the switch because I'm no good with delicate work. Any ideas.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 06-14-2011 | 03:37 PM
95yj
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gonepostal
Hey all,
New at this so please be patient. I have a 1993 softail custom. Problem is with the headlight. Went to change the bulb and it wouldn't work. Check wires for power, both leads showed 12.5 volts. When I put the load on the wires, I showed no power. Connector was good, but changed it just in case. Tried a total of 3 bulbs, no luck. When I tested the new connector with my battery jumper all bulbs worked. Can't be the fuse because I have power. Haven't checked the switch because I'm no good with delicate work. Any ideas.

Thanks,
Andrew
The yellow and white wire, low and high beam from your headlight respectively, go directly to the dimmer switch passing through two of the connectors under your gas tank, the middle connector goes to the headlight and the front connector is the side of the circuit that goes to the left handlebar. The circuit is fed from the orange wire on the dimmer which goes from the dimmer back to the front connector. This orange wire splits off from both the front and middle connector and feeds your brake light switches, your turn signal switches andit powers the turn signal module under the gas tank. All of this circuit is fed by the orange wire coming off the 15 amp accessory breaker under your gas tank.

If you have 12VDC but cannot light a good light then you either have a really bad connection somewhere which will give enough current to show voltage on your voltmeter but not enough to burn a headlight or else you are reading voltage being backfed from somewhere which again will not light your headlight.

Last edited by 95yj; 06-14-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2011 | 08:58 PM
gonepostal
|
Stage III

Thanks, will check it out this weekend, but one more question. Which tank is it under? I have the 2 tank gas tank (I forget what it's called)

Old 06-17-2011 | 08:43 AM
Heritageman
6th Gear
Default Headlight problem

All the wiring connectors for the lights are under the right side tank.

Old 06-17-2011 | 10:08 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like a bad ground to me.

Old 06-17-2011 | 12:21 PM
95yj
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gonepostal
Thanks, will check it out this weekend, but one more question. Which tank is it under? I have the 2 tank gas tank (I forget what it's called)
On my Softail, same year as yours, the connectors are in the center mounted between the frame members. One half of the plug is on one side of the bike and the other half is on the other with wires going in from both sides. You need to pull both tanks to get at them.