Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse Keeps Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011 | 05:15 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dbird08
now that i think about it as weird as it seems i only made left turns last night. Ill try a new fuse with the right side and see what happens. Also my turn signals stay on as the running lights so i dont think it would be the bulb. unles they are double filament bulbs but being a turn signal i dont believe they are. Thanks for the direction.

a combo running light/turn signal bulb or running light/brake bulb are double filament bulbs. one filament is just thicker then the other and each filament is powered individually through individual circuits.

so what did ya find ? inquiring minds and all ya know..

Old 06-20-2011 | 10:34 AM
dbird08
|
Intermediate

Have not had any time to check it out. Will let everyone know whats going on. Might check it out tomorrow.

Old 06-20-2011 | 10:37 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

You did something recently in the area of your grips/clamps, didn't you? 9 times out of 10 it's a pinched wire. Easy to fix.

Old 06-20-2011 | 11:52 AM
dbird08
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sharknose
You did something recently in the area of your grips/clamps, didn't you? 9 times out of 10 it's a pinched wire. Easy to fix.

Not recently. Last season I had new bars and switch housings put on. I think im just going to take it to canton cycles. Havnt had the time to check it out myself.

Old 06-20-2011 | 04:02 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Not recently. Last season I had new bars and switch housings put on. I think im just going to take it to canton cycles. Havnt had the time to check it out myself.
In that case, they didn't provide enough insulation between a metal surface and the wire. In the last year, a wire has rubbed enough to wear away the insulation and everytime you turn the bars a certain way the wire makes contact and shorts out.

Make sure they repair the problem, not just (literally) put a bandaid on it. They could wrap it with one layer of electrical tape and send you on your way, but you'll be right back in a week or two.

Old 06-20-2011 | 08:46 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

I'm taking mine in tomorrow for a similar problem. twice now my headlight fuse has blown on startup, about two weeks apart. Only a month of warranty left so I figure I'll let them take care of it.

Old 07-11-2011 | 01:27 PM
dbird08
|
Intermediate

Well I took the bike into the shop. Underneath the rear fender on the rockers there is a wire channel that the wires for the tailights/turnsignals and license plate light run. Well the thing is double sided taped to the fender? The tape came loose and all those wires were rubbing on the tires. They all rubbed down to bare wire. Caused some serious damage. Alothough I have been wanting to relocate the license plate to the swingarm and get different turnsignals so I guess now is the time.

Ill post pictures when I get it back.

Old 07-14-2011 | 06:34 PM
Just Don
Cruiser

Well I took the bike into the shop. Underneath the rear fender on the rockers there is a wire channel that the wires for the tailights/turnsignals and license plate light run. Well the thing is double sided taped to the fender? The tape came loose and all those wires were rubbing on the tires. They all rubbed down to bare wire. Caused some serious damage. Alothough I have been wanting to relocate the license plate to the swingarm and get different turnsignals so I guess now is the time.

Ill post pictures when I get it back.
Good information for future preventive maintenance inspections. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-14-2011 | 07:21 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master

dbird- If your thinking about doing LED's unfortunately I have explored and understand our electrical system. We got hosed bro..bad, first thing is that although we have LED's in the rear; they are 6 volt LED's ..thats right on a 12V system. So, HD had rigged to diodes to work as a poor mans load balancer (these stick out the back of the deutsch connnector that plugs the rear lighting into the main harness) for the impedence problem. Best advice if your switching the LED's is to get the Badlands Illuminator III and they have one with OEM plugs for the Rocker. Contrary to belief, the ad will say for rear lights only however, it works for the entire electrical system...smartest thing any Rocker owner can do is buy one of these and plug it in. The directions are dirt simple...and most importantly it works. I ended up replacing the rubber channel thing with fuel line and with the badlands I went down to only 4 wires out the back of the deutsch connector. Good luck..

Old 07-15-2011 | 07:08 AM
dbird08
|
Intermediate

I bought turn signals and a license plate holder from heartland they should be here today.