Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Captive seat screw

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Nawlins Jeaux
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Captive seat screw

Just bought a Reach Two-up seat. Got it in, and the rear seat tab, has the large hole in it, but NO captive seat screw! Where would I go to find one? And... how does one install it?
Thanx, for any help!
Nawlins Jeaux

Last edited by Nawlins Jeaux; 06-12-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you talking about this? If so, it installs under the fender and the plastic clip locks onto it from the top of the fender to hold it in place. The dealer also usually carries them.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ86545

Old 06-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Nawlins Jeaux
2nd Gear
Default Captive seat screw

@Ghostrider...
No... the retaining nut in the fender is not the problem. On the back of a two-up seat there is the retaining tab. In that tab there is a LARGE hole for the seat screw to fit through. However, the HD model seats have a seat retaining screw that is held captive in that hole (with a spring) so that it remains attached to the seat when removed. All of my other two-up seats have them, but this one does not. Were I to use a regular 1/4-20 screw for the seat, it would not be secure in the seat tab (the hole in tab is about 3/8"). I would think that the captive screw is pressed into place in the seat tab. But, I can not find any info or replacements.
Thanx, for your interest and help!
Nawlins

Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotcha.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 AM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nawlins Jeaux
Just bought a Reach Two-up seat. Got it in, and the rear seat tab, has the large hole in it, but NO captive seat screw! Where would I go to find one? And... how does one install it?
Thanx, for any help!
Nawlins Jeaux
Ok...so you are a tribe member and you are from NOLA. I went to Tulane...got a degree in Civil Engineering 35 yrs ago!

You know where to get one...so...you got that covered. Here is how you install it. Get a long...I mean long zip tie....thread the zip tie through the fat end of the captivated nut. The clamp end of the zip tie will not pass though the nut. Now... snake the zip tie from below the fender up through the hole in the fender. Pull on the zip tie until the narrow end of the captivated nut pokes through the hole. Now take the plastic spring clamp and push it into the ridge of the captivated nut. Push the zip tie through the now installed nut and snake it out from under the fender.

I have lots of the nuts in my shop .... I can mail you one if you are in lower 48.... for $8.25 USPS. PM me if you want me to send it to you.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Nawlins Jeaux
2nd Gear

@cpiad...
Again, thanx! But, I'm not explaining this right, me thinks....
The retaining nut in the fender is not the problem... the rear tab on the seat has a hole in it (approx. 3/8") that the hold down screw goes through and screws into the nut in the fender. A 1/4-20 screw is used to secure the seat through this hole in the tab, to the fender. I am trying to locate the screw itself (which is pressed into, and held captive, in the seat tab). This captive seat screw is assebled as one piece (a collar, a spring, and the screw), then pressed into the rear seat tab. It remains attached to the seat, when the seat is removed.
Thanx, for all the responses, guys/gals.
Nawlins

Old 06-12-2011, 10:42 AM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nawlins Jeaux
@cpiad...
Again, thanx! But, I'm not explaining this right, me thinks....
The retaining nut in the fender is not the problem... the rear tab on the seat has a hole in it (approx. 3/8") that the hold down screw goes through and screws into the nut in the fender. A 1/4-20 screw is used to secure the seat through this hole in the tab, to the fender. I am trying to locate the screw itself (which is pressed into, and held captive, in the seat tab). This captive seat screw is assebled as one piece (a collar, a spring, and the screw), then pressed into the rear seat tab. It remains attached to the seat, when the seat is removed.
Thanx, for all the responses, guys/gals.
Nawlins
I've installed 100 seats or more...OEM, solo, two up....you name it. And if its not attached by either the two OEM style thumb screws or a .5 in long ....1/4 in D x 20 tpi screw that threads into a captivated nut that fits in the pre-drilled holes in the fender....well then...beats the shtt out of me...and maybe someone else here knows what you got. I don't.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:47 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,255 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I just went and bought a 1/4 X 20 bolt and use a washer. Works fine. Or you can remove the seat tab off the stock seat and bolt it onto the new seat.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,255 Likes on 4,783 Posts

You can also find fancy *** lookin ones on ebay
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=har....c0.m270.l1313

Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: Captive seat screw