Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Cross Bones tank modification/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Hooah09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Cross Bones tank modification/replacement

So I finally put a deposit down on a 2011 Cross Bones that I have had my eye on for months now; even though I am still deployed, I wanted to be sure to get one before the supply dried up completely (since they're being discontinued in FY12). That being said, I have now begun to think seriously about some of the ideas that have just been in the back of my head up until now. And the thing about being deployed is that you often have a lot of time to think!

Ultimately, I want to give this bike a good bobber treatment. Aside from the rear fender, I definitely want to do something about the stock tank. I have crawled the internet and these forums looking for options, yet have come up unsatisfied.

To me, getting rid of the tank dash on this Softail is a must. If I choose to keep the stock tank (perhaps even dishing-in the sides? But that's a question for a later post), are there any bolt-on tank panels to cover where the old dash used to be or would that be something I would have to get custom fabricated?

Going the other route, I could just replace the entire tank (surely the more expensive option). I have searched for a good bolt-on replacement tank, with a 3 or so gallon capacity, but the only one I have found is the Roland Sands vintage tank, which is quite a pretty penny. So does anybody know of another option for an EFI Softail?

Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to hearing your responses. I can't wait to spend some more time on HDForums!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:21 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Here is an idea to get you started.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/649338-saw-a-really-cool-cross-bones-today.html

I think a dished tank would be killer.
Drew

Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 AM
jed1069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the search function here. If I remember right I have seen a few stock tanks that have been dished. I think one was on an x bones. Problem with taking off the console is the giant hole (plate with screws) where the fuel pump is mounted. Look at the tank on a new Black line that might be more what you are looking for tank wise.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 AM
honkylips
Road Captain

Not a lot of options with fuel injection. Roland Sands sells a $400 kit that allows you to put your fuel pump, Regulator, and filter to the bottom side of a tank (weld in), allowing you to have a smooth top tank with no dash. NOBODY makes a dash replacement cover for injected bikes (trust me, I searched forever and ever). I ended up making a cover for mine cuz I too hate the stock dash/speedo setup.

Oops. I just noticed the RSD kit is only for 01-05 models.

Last edited by honkylips; 06-10-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:52 AM
Hooah09
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jed1069
Look at the tank on a new Black line that might be more what you are looking for tank wise.
Wow, I have looked at the Blackline before, but I never really took notice of the tank panel! It looks kinda cool--do you think that it would be possible to buy one of those from Harley? That being said, would it fit on a XBones? It looks like the standard softail tank as far as shape and size go....

And honky, thanks for letting me know; it's good to know there's nothing out there before I go on a google-binge looking for something. How difficult was it to make your own?