Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I too big for a Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 PM
prost34
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am 6'2 190 lbs,i love my deluxe,but the first thing i had to do is cut the back of the seat out more to move me back,next will have to be bars and moving my brake pedal and shifter out,running boards out,,,and wht is it all harley salemen say its made for a woman!!,that was the first thing the sales guy told me and the last,i bought mine somewhere else,,,

Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't feel bad. When buying my first bike (Honda Shadow), the dude told me it was a great bike and all the guys that rode Harleys were buying them for their wives...still bought it.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Reverend
I'm an insecure Twitt
True . . .

Old 06-09-2011, 09:01 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First Off Heath, dont let a Dealer sell you want he wants to. Get what you want!!
They told me the same thing, deluxes are girls bikes. Weeeellllllll, I want someone to come up to me and tell me that my sled is a girls bike. We would have more than words.

Im 6'6'' and about 260, I chose the deluxe because it rides low, and I put a low profile seat on it, and put apes on it so I could stretch out. Didnt want to sit up on the bike, like a road king or a bagger did. It fits me good, but everybody has their own taste and opinion. Just wish that people would think before they speak.

Thanks Malingerer(Tommy boy),
Heath get what you want, dont listen to anyone, besides your *** is the one on the bike.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:56 PM
tuccandler
2nd Gear

I am not 6 foot but I do ride a Deluxe and agree that the stock bars cramp the riding position. The stock seat also pushes you forward.
Put on a set of Mini Apes or full 16" apes and a Mustang seat and you will fall in love with this bike. There are also a ton of seats out there that will position you aft several inches and give you that streched out comfort feel.
Ride Safe whatever you ride.......

Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Darcon88
6th Gear

I'm 6'2" 225 lbs and found that with the stock seat the riding position was too forward. If I pushed back at all, I wound up sitting on the grab bar. I found a stock heritage seat in the local paper and it made all the difference. There was no need to change the bars or the boards.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 AM
DNK31288
Novice

Like you I had only rode smaller bikes before stepping up to the Deluxe. I agree with many that it is somewhat compact. However, it made me feel much more comfortable with the lower center. I'm only 5'10" but have long legs. No problems resting them on the stock floor boards. Others have suggested adding pegs to a engine guard. This is a simple, cheap mod that you might want to consider after you are comfortable with the ride.

Another consideration is how much you are going to ride. If its going to be a primary source of transportation it needs to be more comfortable than something your going to cruise a few times a week.

Buy what you want. I love the Deluxe. My friend who bought a Dyna a month before I purchased the Deluxe is green with envy every time we go for a ride.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Woweh
Cruiser

Originally Posted by heathdeloach
The Deluxe is cosmetically my favorite Harley. Just something about it. But, I'm 6'4 about 230 (read 250) pounds. The seat feels like it pushes me forward a little bit. The salesman says that's cause the deluxe is mostly aimed at women. I think he just said that to try to talk me into a road king... anyways. Any taller, heavier guys own any softail deluxes? Any advice?
Hey,

You'll be fine with the Deluxe, full size Harley is what it is, change out the seat, maybe bars if needed, you will love it. Some HD Sales people are phuked. I had a midget sales person tell me that you have to hang when riding a Harley or else and to forget about the V-Rod(I was only making conversation about the bike) this thing will throw you off.. I thought WHAT MF!!, I'm 6'(not towering....but) and he is 4' nothing, I mentioned to the owner of the dealership what he said after "Half Pint" was no longer employed there, we had a laugh!! Got my 2011 Fat Boy Lo!!! Do what you must to make YOU happy, nobody else!!

D

Old 06-10-2011, 06:17 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm five seven and it felt small. My legs were just too cramped up and the bars were too close to me. It seemed like it would get uncomfortable for long days of riding.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:20 PM
b-builder
5th Gear

i have a 02 heritage and seat pushes me forward getting another solo seat

Quick Reply: Am I too big for a Deluxe?