Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which type of handlebars for a Night Train?
Streetslammer type of bar?
41.18%
Apes?
44.12%
Other?
14.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Night Train - Handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Tweeter2148
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Night Train - Handlebars?

I have a 2009 NT and plan on changing out the front fork to the black inverted front end that HD sells. While doing that job, I figured that I would go ahead and change out the handlebars. I was thinking that the Streetslammers were the ones that I would go with however the Ape type of handlebars are still a option. Here is a pic of me on the bike with the factory bars. I'm looking for some opinions on which type I should go with and why. Also which company should I maybe use. Last, the bars will have to be black also. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Night Train - Handlebars?-nt.jpg  

Last edited by Tweeter2148; 06-09-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:32 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member

I voted for the Apes. However, contrary to what some snobs may try to convince you (as well as themselves) ergonomics play as much of a part of the decision as aesthetics.

You want to be sure you will be comfortable with what ever bar you choose to go with. Would really suck to go to the time and expense to change bars and then regret it after your first day on the road. I was having issues with numbness in my fingers and fatigue in my back. While at a stop during a run, I was telling an acquaintance about those issues. He said, "Here, sit your *** on this." He had a Heritage with 16" Apes. Doing so told me what I needed to do.

www.drvtwin.com
www.brcustombars.com

Last edited by Ratster; 06-09-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Rocker_Dan
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Scheers44
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Street Slammers do look good on the Nightrains, but if you hate seein the same bar on everyone else bike you'll be changin it lol. My votes Apes

Old 06-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Many different makes and styles of bars out there.
I chose BR Custom Bars for a unique look no one else had.
I gave Bill the measurements I wanted after a lot of thinking/trial mockup positioning.
Drag bars look great as do apes on the Train. I like sitting straight up instead of reaching forward for the bars.
If you know anyone with apes, ask if you can sit on the bike as Ratster did.
You might be surprised at how comfortable they are.
I saw quite a few BR bars at the Laughlin River Run, but none like mine.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

My opinion is Night Trains just look better with some type of drag bar.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 AM
2DAKERB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted apes.

But then I went through my archives and tried to find a bike with inverted forks and ape hangers. Not one bike.
If you do got with apes or any type of bars, I would see if they have an inverted fork that is 2 to 4" under stock height.
Something to consider if you decide to lower your bike in the future, I don't think they make a lowering kit for inverted forks. I could be wrong though.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Tweeter2148
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2DAKERB
I voted apes.

But then I went through my archives and tried to find a bike with inverted forks and ape hangers. Not one bike.
If you do got with apes or any type of bars, I would see if they have an inverted fork that is 2 to 4" under stock height.
Something to consider if you decide to lower your bike in the future, I don't think they make a lowering kit for inverted forks. I could be wrong though.
Good information. I never thought about having a problem lowering the bike later with that front end.

Oh and the reason I'm even thinking about Apes handlebars is because I test drove a Street Bob, before I got my Night Train, and kinda liked the Apes it had. Plus my friend bought a used Wide Glide that had Apes on it, which he didn't care for at first but now says that he really kinda likes them.

My first thought about the factory Night Train handlebars was I felt a bit stretched out with them but they aren't bad after riding some now. However I still want something more comfortable for a longer ride.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Second what 2D just said. I think those inverted forks make the bike stand a little taller, too.

As far as bars are concerned, drags & apes belong on trains.

Ideas... Here's a few... How about your existing bars on 4" risers? That looks really cool.

As for apes, I'm a "less is more/clean lines" guy. I have Todds Cycle Strip bars on mine. I also like 2D's and Story's.

Ton's of choices, enjoy the research!

Old 06-09-2011, 12:08 PM
zoepup
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Shame they stopped making the bike

Quick Reply: Night Train - Handlebars?