Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which type of handlebars for a Night Train?
Streetslammer type of bar?
41.18%
Apes?
44.12%
Other?
14.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Night Train - Handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:15 PM
hksigman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sorta biased

i think with the inverted you need the drag bars

Attached Thumbnails Night Train - Handlebars?-010-1.jpg  
Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Tweeter2148
Advanced

Originally Posted by hksigman
im sorta biased

i think with the inverted you need the drag bars
How do you like that front end compared to the factory one? Did you lower the bike at all to make the rear fender sit closer to the rear tire?

Also how is that exhaust? I'm kinda thinking about maybe going with that one or the one that is 2 into 1 exhaust.

Thanks.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 AM
hksigman
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tweeter2148
How do you like that front end compared to the factory one? Did you lower the bike at all to make the rear fender sit closer to the rear tire?

Also how is that exhaust? I'm kinda thinking about maybe going with that one or the one that is 2 into 1 exhaust.

Thanks.

Thats a modified/customized fat boy front fender. I switched to a 18x4 front rim.
I love the front end and the exhaust is nice...

I have legends air-ride on my bike...

Old 06-10-2011, 02:09 AM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I voted for drag bars. I love em on nightrains. I switched my bars for the factory kit, then switched to wild1's, and when I put the springer on I went with wild1's again. love those bars!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:41 AM
eidolon
Intermediate

Went with the Swingbacks on Mine. Exactly the same profile as the Drag Bars but 8 inches closer. Rattle can Harley Satin Black paint going on 5 years now...

Old 07-04-2011, 10:34 AM
rowdy82
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sold my Crossbones with 16" apes. Bought a 2010 Wide glide with the drag bars and love them also. Biggest thing to keep in mind is your riding style. If you like going fast and hitting the twisties you wont like the apes, but if your cruising only you cant beat the comfort that the apes provide. Judging by the inverted front end swap i would say you like the performance side of things and i would stick with drag bars of some sort. Check out br custom bars and the chimp bars under the bobber tab, or the New Wave bars under the ape hanger tab might be perfect mix of drag and apes.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:45 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Not a big fan of apes on Trains- to me, they are simply made for drag-style bars. That being said however, a buddy of mine has a HIGHLY customized Sporty with apes and after riding it for 2 minutes, I could TOTALLY see why someone would choose them.

However, when it came time to replace the stock drags on my Train, I went with a Street Slammer-style bar and haven't looked back. TOTAL difference. Internally-wired, powdercoated flat black and most importantly- COMFY. I am sure that apes might be even more comfortable, but I just couldn't abide by the aesthetics of them.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:16 AM
txfiremedic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The inverted forks have thicker trees so keep that in mind when you're measuring for bars. I have 12.5 apes with the inverted forks and they are just right.....mater of fact i had to re-measure them thinking they sent me 14s. I love my setup but to each his own. Buy some bars and if you don't like them send them to classifieds......one man's junk blah blah blah

Old 07-05-2011, 12:26 AM
ThunderBueller
Road Master

Originally Posted by txfiremedic
The inverted forks have thicker trees so keep that in mind when you're measuring for bars. I have 12.5 apes with the inverted forks and they are just right.....mater of fact i had to re-measure them thinking they sent me 14s. I love my setup but to each his own. Buy some bars and if you don't like them send them to classifieds......one man's junk blah blah blah

I've been wanting to lower mine in the back but wasn't sure how it would handle since the front can't be lowered. So how is it with just the rear lowered?

To the OP, I have Deuce bars and risers. I have arthritis in my shoulders and they are perfect for me comfort wise but for looks and if I decide this will be a bar hopper only I'd love to do apes.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:26 AM
VTwinPulse
Cruiser

I put HD street slammer bars on first and while they felt better then the stock drag bar I still had the neck pinch and tightness issue (6'2"). As soon as I put on apes the neck pinch and constant head turning were gone and riding became fun.

Personally apes feel more natural to me, and I think they look badass too. Waiting for them to come in on my new ride

16" BR Custom Bars

Last edited by VTwinPulse; 07-05-2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: too many beers

Quick Reply: Night Train - Handlebars?