Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 04:31 PM
nitetrain
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch

Anybody here put the reduced clutch parts in there rides. Looks pretty straight foward, just wondering if anybody had tips they would like to share.I know the 06 and later dynas have it, infact I tried a buddy's of mine, and it's like butter.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:36 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: clutch

I installed the kit in my 05 softail deluxe and its very easy. The difference is amazing, no more hand cramps.

I took off the primary cover and with it off adjusted the primary chain. Much easier with the cover off as opposed to trying to do it through the inspection cover. You will need a torque wrench with IN LBs Scale, not FT LBS. I made that mistake and had to replace a couple of screws in my clutch.

Use new gaskets and have the manual handy, its very detailed about how to tighten the various screws to prevent oil leaks. You only remove the clutch retainer plate to replace the spring so its very easy job to complete. The tranny side you have to remove the cover also so if you have aftermarket pipes that mount to your lower frame rail you will have to remove your pipes.

I was installing V&H Big Shot Staggered Pipes, SEAC and V&H Fuelpak and the clutch at the same time so it was easy.

Make sure you remove the two screws in the primary inspection plate that hold on the primary cover before trying to pull the cover off. Some folks don't realize they are holding the Primary cover and they can't figure out why it won't come off. Make sure the two little gaskets on the back of the cover under those two screws stays on the cover when you reinstall the primary cover. I did not find it necessary to replace them. You will see a reference to them in the manual.

Its a fun project and will help you have a better understanding of how your machine works. It takes a little time and I streched it out into day two since I was doing other stuff also. Good Luck!

Good time to change all the fluids, including oil filter and engine oil, in my opinion. Don't forget to put all the plugs back in and replace the o-rings on the plugs if they are damaged.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:38 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did mine, very easy. I did not mess with the clutch adjusyment before removing the cover like I believe it said to. I also installed the auto primary chain adjuster as well since I took the primary cover off to install a chrome one. Thank god I installed the reduced effort kit when I did. I got stuck in stop/crawling traffic that weekend. What a huge difference.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:39 AM
nitetrain
Cruiser

Thanks guys, sounds pretty easy, looking foward to doing the job.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:55 AM
chops
Tourer

I take it you're not talking about the $20 ramp lever add on?

That installs on the right side where the clutch cable enters.

Snap ring pliers are a must if this is the kit you mean, if not then
as Gilda Radner would say, "Nevermind"

Old 11-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey NiteTrain, keep us informed on how you make out.

I recently rented a 2006 Dyna Wide Glide for a weekend and the E-Z Clutch comes stock. I'd have to say it was pretty sweet. The dealership wants big bucks for this installation.

I figure between my H-D manual and the installation instructions It can't be that difficult.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2006, 01:09 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: Alien Spyder

Hey NiteTrain, keep us informed on how you make out.

I recently rented a 2006 Dyna Wide Glide for a weekend and the E-Z Clutch comes stock. I'd have to say it was pretty sweet. The dealership wants big bucks for this installation.

I figure between my H-D manual and the installation instructions It can't be that difficult.

Good luck!
Alien Spyder....Hope you see this:

Just wanted to say a quick thanks...back during my decision making process,your to the point objective comments about the Nightrain were helpful in making my decision,that's right,still bought one anyway !

And I phoqueing love it !!!

Seriously thanks Alien...

Old 11-02-2006, 01:59 AM
Mike05
Tourer

I did my 05 FLSTCI this spring. Worth the effort (which was easy) and money. I can pull the clutch with a finger and thumb now.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:08 AM
pitbulldog
Road Captain

I did mine last spring, well worth the time and money.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:46 PM
deuce dude
Road Master

i did mine a month ago...should have done it sooner.....i have the SE pressure plate and the new ball and ramp assembly helps alot!!

Quick Reply: clutch