Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing on a Heritage With 16" Apes ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
Looking at something like the Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing for my 2011 Heritage.

Only problem is that I have Harley's 16" Apes/Risers Combo.

I'm ok with the fact that I won't get much wind protection for my hands/arms. Main reason I want to go with the Fairing is for less buffeting and a more "streamlined" line to cut thru the wind and make the bike a little "steadier" on a windy day. I'm currently just using the Windshield and the Wind Deflectors.

My Apes are angled forward towards me, so while I'm not 100% sure, I don't think clearance will be an issue.

Two questions

1. Will this look really stupid?

2. I don't really like the way the Wind Deflectors look. Will I be able to lose the Wind Deflectors with the Fairing?

Thanks
Talldog, my bro has a Heritage with 16s and they are rolled forward. he cut the sides of the windshield a little bit to allow it to clear the apes. I also did that to my Deluxe. I dont run the shield often but it is nice to have sometimes. Here are some pics of my Lux.

Stone

Fairing on a Heritage With 16" Apes ?-sdc11484.jpg

Fairing on a Heritage With 16" Apes ?-sdc11475.jpg

Fairing on a Heritage With 16" Apes ?-sdc11479.jpg

Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
Without a doubt.
LOL, don't hold back, tell me how you really feel

I know, I asked for it.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Check out the touring section. There are plenty of people with apes. I disagree on that it will look stupid. There are some really nice baggers with 16"'s. Besides, I am who what decides what will look good on my bike as I ride it.

Drew
Dr V,

Still not sure if I'm gonna go this way, but if I do, do you carry the Softail Fairings? If so, do you recommend one over another?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fdb2007
I think you wanted a Street Glide. Don't feel bad, I rode a Road King Classic for 3 years that I never did really love.
Hey, wish me luck, I'm in a drawing for a new Street Glide this weekend

Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by t stone
Talldog, my bro has a Heritage with 16s and they are rolled forward. he cut the sides of the windshield a little bit to allow it to clear the apes. I also did that to my Deluxe. I dont run the shield often but it is nice to have sometimes. Here are some pics of my Lux.

Stone

Attachment 190299

Attachment 190300

Attachment 190301
T,

Your Lux looks great, but I don't have a problem with my Shield fitting. My bars are actually angled towards me. Just trying to decide if I'll run into any clearance issues with a Fairing (don't think so), and how it's gonna look with the Apes. I've checked out a bunch of pics, and I don't think it will look too bad but I wanted to get some more opinions (yes, I know in the end it's my decision).

Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 PM
fdb2007
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
Hey, wish me luck, I'm in a drawing for a new Street Glide this weekend
Good Luck!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Fatboy Spade
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out http://woodysfairings.com/. I just put one on my Fatboy, quality and service is excellent

Old 06-08-2011, 09:41 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy Spade
Check out http://woodysfairings.com/. I just put one on my Fatboy, quality and service is excellent

I have a woodys on my fatboy with 12.5 apes with 2 inch risers. I do have to rock them towards me a little but dont think it is bad. Go to the softail bagger thread and there are some in there. When I get home tomorrow I will post a pick of mine. I would say if you are planning on keeping the fairing on all the time go with bagger apes, but if you want to be able to take the fairing off that would be a no go since they would look odd with the bend. I would definatly check out Woody and he will answer all of your questions. He is in Kenosha so not sure where you are in Northern IL so may be close. Also if you are in the Milwaukee area you can see mine in person PM me if you have any other questions.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Fatboy Spade and 06 flstfise,

Thanks for the Heads-up on Woody's Fairings. Kenosha isn't that far from me, I'll take a ride up and talk to Woody. Looking forward to seeing a pic of your Fairing 06.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

My bad Talldog. You are talking about a bat wing. I guess I should read the thread a little better. Sorry

Stone

Quick Reply: Fairing on a Heritage With 16" Apes ?