Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Heritage Classic Fuel consumption problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Brancajd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK...fuel light came on today after riding for 163 miles. That's not too bad for in/around town considering it was coming on before between 130 & 140. I'm curious what the numbers will be on straight highway riding? I don't want to point fingers at the PCIII just yet, and I'm trying to remain optimistic here. In it's defense, maybe I had a bad map? It did however, when hooked up, take care of the decel pop and rear cyclinder wasn't as hot. The only way to really dial the bike in is to take it to a certified dynajet center and have it dyno'd/mapped specifically for my bike. I may hook it back up, as another forum member sent me one of his maps, same setup as mine. If after hooking it up, I have the same issue with his map, then I'll know it's the PCIII for sure.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Brancajd
OK...fuel light came on today after riding for 163 miles. That's not too bad for in/around town considering it was coming on before between 130 & 140. I'm curious what the numbers will be on straight highway riding? I don't want to point fingers at the PCIII just yet, and I'm trying to remain optimistic here. In it's defense, maybe I had a bad map? It did however, when hooked up, take care of the decel pop and rear cyclinder wasn't as hot. The only way to really dial the bike in is to take it to a certified dynajet center and have it dyno'd/mapped specifically for my bike. I may hook it back up, as another forum member sent me one of his maps, same setup as mine. If after hooking it up, I have the same issue with his map, then I'll know it's the PCIII for sure.
You might know that it is the PCIII map for sure... not the PCIII. It >may< be the PCIII or not. You are running leaner overall without the PCIII. The map controls how lean the PCIII mixture is. You can change a map easily so unless you know for a fact that everything on his bike is exactly the same and that the map is exactly the same, you will only be a little closer to solving the issue. A dyno will answer the questions immediately.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is less than a 20% change in fuel consumption. The PCIII might not be spot on but its not far off either.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Brancajd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mileage update....

Been keeping track of mileage in/around town....last two fill up's, I put in approx 4.3 gallons...and drove 172 miles and 168...that's roughly 40mpg..not too bad. I think I may have figured out why my low fuel light keeps coming on "early". I have attached a picture from recently filling up my tank w/ 4.3 gallons. The bike is not on it's kickstand, it's level. Take a look at the needle on the gauge, it's way past the full line, on the "F". Does anyone know if there is a float arm in the tank that can be adjusted? (on a side note...my boss with the 05 heritage, just got back from Arlington Va, he said he filled up down there, pulled into his driveway here in Jersey, and light hasn't come on yet after 210 miles....said he rode hard too..around 70/75). That's nice mileage!!!!

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Heritage Classic Fuel consumption problem-fuel-gauge.jpg  
Old 07-01-2011, 09:01 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The low fuel light has been known to come on way too early on most Harley's. I fill up around 160 miles and ignore the gauge.

Drew