Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy Lo Engine Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011 | 02:52 PM
Black Beauty
|
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Boy Lo Engine Upgrade

Hello Everyone!

I'm fairly new to this forum and have been doing as much reading as possible. I just recently purchased a 2011 Fat Boy Lo, and have added V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 pipes and a Screaming Eagle air cleaner, and had the EFI remapped.

I just picked up the bike after having the mods done. I really like the sound of the V&H pipes, but certainly notice a drop in low end torque.

I really want to upgrade the engine to 103 cu or 110 cu. I'm getting some conflicting data from various HD dealers about which option is the best. Some recommend the 103 and others the 110, for various reasons. A few indicate overheating issues with the 110.

Can anyone possibly give me any advise or have any experience with either option?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2011 | 02:57 PM
jed1069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the money check out fuelmotousa.com They have a 107 kit that is supposed to be a kick in the A$$

Old 06-03-2011 | 02:59 PM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Hello Everyone!

I'm fairly new to this forum and have been doing as much reading as possible. I just recently purchased a 2011 Fat Boy Lo, and have added V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 pipes and a Screaming Eagle air cleaner, and had the EFI remapped.

I just picked up the bike after having the mods done. I really like the sound of the V&H pipes, but certainly notice a drop in low end torque.

I really want to upgrade the engine to 103 cu or 110 cu. I'm getting some conflicting data from various HD dealers about which option is the best. Some recommend the 103 and others the 110, for various reasons. A few indicate overheating issues with the 110.

Can anyone possibly give me any advise or have any experience with either option?

Thanks
My setup is almost identical to yours.. only difference is I just flashed my ecm with a PowerVision from FuelMoto.. I'm at work and haven't even been able to fire her up (it was delivered to my office after lunch).. like you I'm not happy with the power so I wanted to see how the PV does.. plus I just got in a set of Big City Thunder baffles yesterday.. I'll be installing them this weekend.. after that I'm going to put in the TW-555 cams.. I can't justify going to 103 or 110 right now but would love to one day...

Old 06-03-2011 | 03:15 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah check out some of the other kits around.. i think the 107" is the biggest you can go before you have to bore anything out..it should be just a drop&swap kit..

rrambo, are you getting the Monsters or the QQ's? I'm really thinking about putting a set of monsters in my V&H BSS's, but not sure if it's worth it or not

Old 06-03-2011 | 03:21 PM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
yeah check out some of the other kits around.. i think the 107" is the biggest you can go before you have to bore anything out..it should be just a drop&swap kit..

rrambo, are you getting the Monsters or the QQ's? I'm really thinking about putting a set of monsters in my V&H BSS's, but not sure if it's worth it or not
Jim.. I got the original monsters.. will let everyone know how they sound/perform this weekend.

Old 06-03-2011 | 03:35 PM
Black Beauty
|
6th Gear

Thanks for the information. Any one have experience with the Fuel Moto 107 kit?

The possible problem that I have is that I live in Canada, and not many custom shops here that deal with HD upgrades other than HD dealers, at least not in my province of Manitoba, that I am aware of. I truly doubt the dealership would install equipment other than HD supplied product.

Old 06-03-2011 | 04:42 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

....well....I installed 2 in slip on and A/N big sucker...at same time I swapped in a Tmax and mapped and tuned it myself...my 2010 Fatboy pulls hard low end and makes solid power all the way through the throttle. Sounds like whoever/whatever remapped your ECM owes you a refund. Going to 103 from 96 without radical cams won't do much to satisfy your power expectations.

You want some power fast....install a blower...keep it under 10 psi and see if Fuel Moto can set you up with an ECM to handle the engine. Or....just dump that slow thing and buy a Hayabusa and go fast.

Old 06-03-2011 | 05:36 PM
cecil1
Cruiser

Dude, I just did my 09 Fatboy with HD #27544-10A. Substantial difference over stock. Huge power gains with the hot rod idle we all want. I just dropped the bike off tonight for my dyno tune after the break in. I will let you know the results, but do your research on this upgrade. Everything me dealer told me about this build is spot on.

Old 06-03-2011 | 06:32 PM
Brutus01
Road Captain
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cecil1
Dude, I just did my 09 Fatboy with HD #27544-10A. Substantial difference over stock. Huge power gains with the hot rod idle we all want. I just dropped the bike off tonight for my dyno tune after the break in. I will let you know the results, but do your research on this upgrade. Everything me dealer told me about this build is spot on.
+1 on the same kit and love it....

If you are going to spend this kind of money on engine mods and are really looking for low end torque, you really need to switch to a 2-1 exhaust. The 2-1 will provide the needed back pressure for the performance mods. I have a 2011 FB Lo with a D&D Low cat 2-1 and I have 500 more miles until my tune. I will post some numbers here soon myself.

Old 06-04-2011 | 09:05 AM
Black Beauty
|
6th Gear

Can you elaborate on the 27544-10A kit? I have done a search, but it only results in cam threads.

Any one else have any experience with the Big City Thunder Baffles?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Fat Boy Lo Engine Upgrade