Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Grips and internal wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:40 PM
AusMongrel
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heated Grips and internal wires

Hi Guys,

Has anyone installed heated grips with the wires running internally?

I have a 2010 Fatboy and the bars are all internally wired, and I have installed Heat Demons but they don't heat enough. I think it is because I am running the Glue-less WillyG grips and there must be an air gap between the grip and the bar. The temp here is about 12DegC and they are no where near warm enough.

SO... if I get some HD heated grips, can I run the cables internally? The info on the product states "Not compatible with internally wired bars" and I just want to see if anyone has done this.

Cheers
Mongrel

Old 06-02-2011, 11:11 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Answer.....Gerbings heated gloves.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

I installed a set of Heating elements in my bars made by a company called "PollyHeaters." They are internally wired. In fact I don't think you can externally wire them, or at least it would be very difficult to do so.

I think that they are actually made for Snowmobiles but they definitely work. They have two settings: Low and High. High will melt the grips (No $h!t) and with low you'll have to turn them off periodically or it'll get warmer than you'd probably care for. I've ridden in 0 C to 5 C weather with these for hours, with no problem except that while the palms of my hands are getting quite warm (almost to the point of too hot), the back sides are getting a bit chilly.

Anyhow these things are $30 and the web site is http://www.pollyheaters.com/ph200.htm

I got turned on to these here on this forum so it's only fair that I pay this forward, as it were.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I've heard the hd heated grips are crap and quit working after a while... I went with the heated gloves

Old 06-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Bad Daddy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Heat Demons, and they are internally wired... I wonder if they mean not compatible with throttle-by-wire?...

I've wired everything internally, and they work... at low temps, and highway speeds, they tend to not keep the grips warm.. my guess is, the bars act like a giant heat sink.

Still, better than nothing, and last longer than the HD grips. Added benefit, is I can change grips for very little $... Wiring is undisturbed.

BD

Old 06-03-2011, 07:08 AM
hbarleatherneck
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have harley brand heated grips. i ran all my wires run internally. both the heated grips and the controls. it works fine.

I asked my dealership why you couldnt run them internally. They said they do it all the time. So, it might be a cover your *** thing for the motor company. or maybe they dont want to deal with the wires once they are all run inside. it would make finding a short difficult.

bottom line, it works fine.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:49 AM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I installed a set of Heating elements in my bars made by a company called "PollyHeaters." They are internally wired. In fact I don't think you can externally wire them, or at least it would be very difficult to do so.

I think that they are actually made for Snowmobiles but they definitely work. They have two settings: Low and High. High will melt the grips (No $h!t) and with low you'll have to turn them off periodically or it'll get warmer than you'd probably care for. I've ridden in 0 C to 5 C weather with these for hours, with no problem except that while the palms of my hands are getting quite warm (almost to the point of too hot), the back sides are getting a bit chilly.

Anyhow these things are $30 and the web site is http://www.pollyheaters.com/ph200.htm

I got turned on to these here on this forum so it's only fair that I pay this forward, as it were.
Bluehighways, So this element fits inside the bars. It will actually heat up through the thick plastic H.D. grips? I like the concept. I will definatly be putting these on my sled (snowmobile), looks better than the stick on type that dont last.

Stone