Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuned and still runs hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by WVNightrain Rider
I heard that from several people, All the logs were downloaded including the map direct from the ECM and sent to Randy at Zippers and they verified everything to be the proper setup on my bike.
Not necessarily. What I'm saying is that there may be a map that will make the bike run more like you want rather than what Zipper's wants. There are a range of possibilities in tuning the bike, not just one. Personally, I would hate to be in the ECM business. There are too many variables and too many people with... er.... opinions!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman
Harley Oil coolers have a built in thermostat that only opens after the engine has reached operating temps. That way it's usable in the winter. Allows the bike to warm up.
I saw some coolers that had that, but mine has no cooler at all, hence my confusion.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:51 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Your first mistake was dealing with Zippers only. They are simply going to give you the most basic info and the closest map to meet your bike's specs. Before investing in a whole new system, you should've just gone on over to the Harley Tech Talk forum and talked with some of the T-Max gurus over there. Those guys know what they're doing and really could've helped you tweak your map to make your bike run every bit as good as (or better than) the TTS system. You probably just needed some AFR and timing tweaks and you would have been good to rock. But you did the equivalent of calling Dell for a Dell PC problem when what you needed was a systems engineer - someone with a real knowledge of the system. Your issues were not with the product itself, plain and simple. Your own limited knowledge, impatience and refusal to take the time to look for and tap other knowedge sources are wholly to blame for the extra 5 bills you just spent. Just for future reference, instead of calling TTS, should you ever have an issue with it in the future, call on the guys who have a real working knowledge of the system both here and over at HTT. You'll save yourself a lot of time, frustration and money. Good Luck.
There are a ton of people out there that are Good Tuners.

What I find funny about going from a T-Max CPU back to the HD CPU with an aftermarket tuning software, is that you are doing the EXACT same thing with TTS as you are doing with the T-Max just using a different set of parameters. Wouldn't it have been easier to learn the T-max software and figure out what was NOT working?

I'll be the first to admit that Zippers' canned maps SUCK. No question. Even maps that were modified by FuelMoto for the T-max sucked for me, but after reading the manual and watching no more than three of "mayor's" youtube videos I was able to get my bike running 100 times better than the HD CPU with the stage one download. Better yet, now I understand much more about what makes my bike happy. No canned map will do that.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:01 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

It's my opinion that smoothing a map and then riding some more, smoothing the map and then riding some more will get you where you want to be with a TMax for street riding in most cases. Of course it depends upon how extreme any mods are that you have done. I would be surprised, but not dumfounded, that timing would need to be adjusted on a street ridable bike.

It is impossible (well, they can watch what you are doing over the internet with your bike sitting still) for someone to tune a bike over the phone. You either depend upon the autotune completely and live with it, or you get your keyboard greasy. That's all there is to it. Custom work requires a custom attitude.