Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail = right bike for me? deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011 | 08:53 PM
wanabe
|
Road Warrior
Default softail = right bike for me? deluxe?

been riding for many years... and finally the last 3 on a harley (1200 sporty). love the sporty for around town- have changed out the suspension, seats and many engine mods plus windshield and foot pegs to make this a bike that can go on the big road.
however, i think the time has come to step up to a bigger bike that can do road trips more comfortably and also can do around town.
my +2 is pushing for an ultra (cause she doesnt have to park that thing and all she sees is that living room seat on the back!). i have always loved the styling of the deluxe.
so my question is whether the deluxe would be a good road/around town bike especially since i haul a +2.
i really like the solo deluxe seats, so i am wondering whether there are +2 seats that can do a coupla hundred miles a day and can be changed out for the single seats easily...

Old 05-28-2011 | 09:01 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

There's a ton of seats out there, so I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure that everyone here will agree that a lux will do great out on the highway. I know I do longer trips on my Heritage with no trouble at all, and am heading out in a few weeks for a ten day run two up. For a ride like that, I wish I had a roadglide in the garage, but I know I'll have a blast on the softy. My best advice: if you really want a deluxe, nothing else will make you happier. If you want a bike for two-up riding, you might consider taking a few touring bikes for a test drive. JMHO.

Old 05-28-2011 | 09:04 PM
wanabe
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
There's a ton of seats out there, so I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure that everyone here will agree that a lux will do great out on the highway. I know I do longer trips on my Heritage with no trouble at all, and am heading out in a few weeks for a ten day run two up. For a ride like that, I wish I had a roadglide in the garage, but I know I'll have a blast on the softy. My best advice: if you really want a deluxe, nothing else will make you happier. If you want a bike for two-up riding, you might consider taking a few touring bikes for a test drive. JMHO.
thx jlasoftail- what seat is on your bike for your trip? no butt time limits with your seat for your +2?

Old 05-28-2011 | 09:07 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

I love the styling of the Deluxe as well. I was looking at that one before my Heritage caught my eye. The Luxe is very well balances and makes for a wonderful 'round town machine, and you can swap out the numerous seats for two up riding. It has wonderful power for the hwy as well. Many options available as to quick detach bags and sissy bars for long trips +2. If that's what's got your eye, make it happn captn.

Old 05-28-2011 | 09:09 PM
RockerSE
Road Captain

My vote, keep the Sporty for you and make the +2 happy with the Ultra.

Old 05-28-2011 | 09:14 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

I have a Mustang seat, and even with my back problems I felt great after a 9 hr haul down I-40

The woman absolutely LOVES the new seat might I add...

Old 05-28-2011 | 09:27 PM
SMF
Banned

My deluxe does a 200+ trips no problem and i have a la pera barebones with diamond stitching

Old 05-28-2011 | 09:31 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

I just run the stock seat on the heritage, the pillion just goes on with one screw, and to be honest, it's not bad to sit on either, so i've been told. Lots of 600 mile days with nothing that a soak in the hot tub wouldn't fix.

Old 05-28-2011 | 09:41 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
I just run the stock seat on the heritage, the pillion just goes on with one screw, and to be honest, it's not bad to sit on either, so i've been told. Lots of 600 mile days with nothing that a soak in the hot tub wouldn't fix.
With my stock seat I slid down, and the passenger slid forward during braking and bigger bumps...I rode on it down to GA comfortably with the exception of that nuisance.

Old 05-28-2011 | 09:43 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

...and must be nice to have a hot tub... dreaming of the day

Quick Reply: softail = right bike for me? deluxe?