Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail = right bike for me? deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011 | 08:59 PM
recon7
Cruiser

My Heritage pictured with a Corbin Gunfighter. I keep a Corbin Gunslinger and Lady on it most of the time for two up riding. I've had no complaints from any passengers.

Old 06-02-2011 | 11:23 AM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mistersoftail
I can tell you this, don't expect to have the same kind of power for riding 2 people on a Softail like you have with a 1200 Sportster. My new Heritage is extremely comfortable and great looking, but my 2005 Sportster 1200 could easily blow it's doors off and that's with 2 people on board. The Heritage is fine with one person aboard, but add another and she becomes a real dog. It is seriously under powered...
I don't know what's been done to your Sporty, but I know my Heritage didn't lag on power even before I started working on her.

Old 06-02-2011 | 01:08 PM
NorCal Dog
Road Master

one thing to consider is what type of riding that you do. i see by your photo that you ride two up & like to hit the twisties, & i also see that you worked on the suspension on your sporty, ( & i'm sure that you didn't lower it as most do )

with that said,

softails do not have the lean angles that the touring models, the dynas, & even stock sporties have. if you like to do some spirited runs thru the twisties you're gonna be scraping, banging off the frame/primary, & slowing down, while your buddies on the other models blast past you comfortably, with no issues whatsoever

it constantly pisses me off when my friends laugh at my scoot cause i gotta run much slower in the tight stuff & it's the ONLY issue that i have with my fatty

Last edited by NorCal Dog; 06-02-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-02-2011 | 03:11 PM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master

Originally Posted by terryrh
I don't know what's been done to your Sporty, but I know my Heritage didn't lag on power even before I started working on her.
I'm doing the ScoobyDoo sounds too...shouldn't be any issue toting two on a Deluxe or Heritage...granted I ride one up on mine, but my last big trip, loaded down with luggage was 2900 miles, all beautiful except the tornado warning we rode through. Years ago, I rode two up on a FatBoy, hundreds of miles at a clip and never an issue.

+1 on the Mustang
-1 on the Corbin (at least for a passenger)

Old 06-02-2011 | 09:05 PM
mistersoftail
Advanced

The only thing my Sportster had done to it was Screamin Eagle intake, jet kit, and Screamin Eagle II mufflers. It ripped even with 2 people on it. I guess the power to weight ratio was much better on it. That being said, I love my new Heritage, just doesn't have the get up and go the Sporty did....

Old 06-03-2011 | 09:11 AM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

Well I don't have too much experience with Sporty's. I can't say which one feels to put it to the ground better from personal experience. I do know that I was leaving a 1200 before, but that could have been a number of things.

Personally I would keep the sporty and get a Luxe (that's what I originally wanted) too, but I know in my situation, money wouldn't let me do that. I don't know what your situation is, but that's just my HO.

As far as leaning, I am able to lean on my Heritage just about as much as the 06 Street Bob. I'm not slower than the guys I ride with - I'm actually a little quicker...I do scrape a lot though, and I do have significant more experience. A guy that has been riding as long as I been born almost who rides a lowered SG taught me how to lean more effectively, and I don't scrape half as much as I used to, while gaining speed in the twisties. That's why I like riding with the older crowd...lots to learn from them.

Old 06-03-2011 | 09:32 AM
supercrewser
Road Master

Do what makes you feel comfortable, I have a Custom and love the bike but wish I had a Heritage for road trips/ round town riding, its not much heavier than my Custom and has a bigger front end and seat, nice saddle bags and is more suited for long hauls and is nimble enough for town riding, just my .02 worth though. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2011 | 09:37 AM
supercrewser
Road Master

Originally Posted by wanabe
so they make a large mustang for the deluxe?
have one on the sporty and it is a great seat...

if i could get a large mustang on a deluxe for the 2 up rides and switch it out for a single seat (stock maybe?) when the +2 isnt with me, seems to me that would work

mustang on my bike:

Thats a nice bike, love what you have done to it. It would be hard to give that thing up.

Old 06-03-2011 | 02:50 PM
NorCal Dog
Road Master

As far as leaning, I am able to lean on my Heritage just about as much as the 06 Street Bob. I'm not slower than the guys I ride with - I'm actually a little quicker...I do scrape a lot though, and I do have significant more experience. A guy that has been riding as long as I been born almost who rides a lowered SG taught me how to lean more effectively, and I don't scrape half as much as I used to, while gaining speed in the twisties. That's why I like riding with the older crowd...lots to learn from them.
would have to call BS

it's all about the geometry of the frame & components that dictates what your maximum lean angles are

if you're consistently scraping, you're VERY CLOSE to hitting the frame or another hard component & either highsiding / lowsiding on uneven pavement in a curve,, don't fool yourself

i can blow thru some serious tight stuff on my plated XR650R much faster than the majority of the rockets that are set up for it, because of the geometry of the bike

basically, you just told me that you ride with slow ( or slower ) riders in the twisties

not trying to get into a pissing match,, but i'm not delusional as to one of the drawbacks to riding a softail as compared to the other models, it's a pretty well known fact

Last edited by NorCal Dog; 06-03-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2011 | 03:03 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

No pissing matches here. Like I said, I have much more experience than them. I did scrape all the time, but I'm faster now with less scraping due to the method I learned. I'm not gonna try to blow smoke up anyones *** and tell them I can roll with the sportbikes, but I do know that I ride with a WG and a Fat Bob and they've scraped when I haven't

Quick Reply: softail = right bike for me? deluxe?