Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I rented a RK...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: So I rented a RK...

harsh man, harsh....i like my bagger...it aint top heavy...it aint slow...to each his own tho....glad you like yours

Old 11-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

This post has the bagger boys po'd...

https://www.hdforums.com/m_900236/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

i'm not PO'd....some folks just talk to hear thier head roar...some dont even know what they dont know

Old 11-01-2006, 10:01 PM
reh13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have four as well. I posted this response about the bikes on another thread. Here it is:

>>>I'm 61 and own a RK Classic, an Ultra Classic, a Wide Glide, and a FXST Softail. I put more miles on the softail, simply because it's the easiest to clean. I like the RK better than the Ultra, because I can remove the windshield in hot weather. And even though I ride the Wide Glide the least, I probably like it the best. Reason being, I look at the WG, then the ST, and it only takes a minute to decide which one I want to clean. Oh yea, I live on the beach. Cleaning is a never ending process. I owned a springer a couple of years ago. If I dreamed about riding it, I had to get up the next day and clean it.<<<

Let me add, living on the beach, I'm a shorts and t-shirt rider the majority of the time. That fairing on the ultra traps a lot of heat on those slow rides up and down the beach. It's my least favorite bike. I like being able to remove the windshield on the RK. If you can can get along with what's in your pockets, both the softail and WG are more fun to ride (on the beaches).

Old 11-01-2006, 10:38 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I wish my house looked as nice as that garage..

Old 11-01-2006, 10:42 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I wish my house looked as nice as that garage..

Old 11-01-2006, 11:01 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

For you guys who think an FLH is "top heavy" and doesn't handle well at slower speeds, I respectfully suggest you don't know how to ride the thing. For kicks, sit in on one of the cop-bike competitions and watch these men in blue nimbly work around a course I dare say most of you Softail riders, or us bagger owners for that matter, couldn't negotiate past the first turn. For the record, all those bikes, save a few isolated Kaw's and BMW's, are FLT's. FWIW, one of these competitions is scheduled for Nov. 4 in Baton Rouge, if any of you are in the area. I never miss them, as these guys can ride.

As for vibration, it's all what you like. Personally, I like the throb of the rubber mounts at idle, smoothing out gradually and favorably above that speed, and my antique RK is nearly dead smooth above 65 mph. Every 88B I've ridden is anything but smooth in that range--not obtrusively shakey, but not as smooth as a rubber-mount. It's apples and oranges, and people have their preferences. Nobody is wrong if they're happy.

To the OP, I'll sympathize with you in one regard: The '07 RK I rode did shake more at idle than any other FLT I've ridden, too much for my taste, yet smoothing out very well above that point. I think it is a matter of the idle RPM, which to me is too high where it is (no tach, couldn't tell, but felt like >1000). Old Blue idles at 850 with a rock-steady potato-potato rhythm that is truly musical and therapeutic. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:18 AM
dolson911
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, everybody's pissed that I didn't like the RoadKing. Sorry. Just didn't. The reference to the "crap" could also be due to the fact that the thing was a rental and who knows what kind of a beating it had.

And, for future reference. Never owned a metric bike. Always owned Harleys - and yes most of that time on Evos. 77 Ironhead Sporty. 85 Softail. 89 FLHS (yes, even I had a RK variant) and kept it until my 01 FatBoy. I've ridden other RK's before but this RK seemed a lot more top heavy than my 89 which had a tour pack. Not sure if it's just the fact that I've been on the FB for 5 years but the bike didn't seem as comfortable. I also spend most of my time in town and through the country roads so cruising above 60 - where the FL's are in their element - is not something I do often.

iclick - you're right. I had 10 hours in the saddle of this bike and most of it on the boring roads of Daytona. Not enough time to figure out how to slam it around.

And, I never bashed a brother or sister. I simply stated my dislike for a particular bike that may or may not be an appropriate representative of the model. Funny how not liking a particular model brands you as a whimp...

-DO

Old 11-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IceHeritage

I had a Heritage and sold it and purchased an 07 Road Glide and I couldn't be Happier and neither could my Wife. It's smoother at idle, smoother when i ride two up, smoother above 50-60-70-80, and i can ride all day and not get tired! what isn't their to Love about the FL's?
+1

Well said IceHeritage!

Old 11-02-2006, 05:22 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dolson911

And, I never bashed a brother or sister. I simply stated my dislike for a particular bike that may or may not be an appropriate representative of the model. Funny how not liking a particular model brands you as a whimp...

-DO
It's all good DO - For sure, the reason the MoCo is able to sell so many different models is that WE all have different tastes. For aesthetic reasons only, you won't see my in the saddle of a VRSC, but obviously there are a lot of people that like 'em, including ***** G. While I stated that I feel my RKC is top heavy compared to my OLs FXST, that doesn't mean it's unmanageable - just that it's top heavy in comparasion. Before my Ultra, I rode the RKC damn near every day in traffic, rain or shine, hot or cold... and the OL rode her FXST, right alongside - she's certainly not a whimp for riding what is plenty enough scoot for her to ride, and I'd never call her a whimp for not getting in the saddle of the Ultra. Rather than criticize what somebody else is riding, I'm in favor of acknowledging that they're out there doing what they enjoy doing - period, end of sentence.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All rights kids, let's break it up. I want my softail forum back.

You baggers need to get back over to your forum so you can discuss stereo's and electronic gizmo's and the like.

Quick Reply: So I rented a RK...