Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I rented a RK...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Branded
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: So I rented a RK...

Me thinks some of ya'll need to soak your socks in kerosene to keep the ants from crawling up your legs and eating your, CANDY A$$eS !!!

Old 11-01-2006, 07:07 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If your "a" motor is shaking you up have the motor mounts checked, common problem on newer Glides. Made a HUGE difference on my SG when a mount failed. Now its even smooth (feeling) at idle though it does "move" back and forth in its cradle and great once moving. Beats the hell out of Fatty but then my FB is pretty hulked up.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of my riding is done in town, light to light so I love the smooth idle of the Softail, but you all are right when it comes to highway speeds. Mine doesn’t start vibrating hard until I get over 75-80. That's about the point where it becomes uncomfortable. I rode an RK once and just didn't like how you feel like you're sitting on "top" of the bike. On a Softail, you kinda sit "in" the bike. Feels a lot better to me anyway. I rode a Classic for a few days, and I agree that I lost a filling or two at the stoplights, but on the highway it was as smooth as glass. Having the faring took away the feeling of sitting to high as well.

For me in the city, there’s nothing better than a Softail, but for highway it’s got to be a Glide.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
dubless
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have to agree with the person that mentioned something may have been wrong with the bike, especially since it was a rental. A few weeks ago I took a drive on my buds RKCustom equipped w/a Legends kit, Danny Grey custom solo, a set of Reinharts, and dewey intake. What a great ride. While I did notice slightly more vibrations at idle, running through the gears and at speed felt nearly the same as my Train. I'd venture to say even smoother in top gear. Now I love my train to death and will never part with it but since that ride I've been dreaming of a way to add another bike to the stable.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Barebackjack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a twin cam A motor shakes ya'll, I would hate the think what a EVO softail or pre 04 sportster would have felt like to ya.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:54 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master

I had a Heritage and sold it and purchased an 07 Road Glide and I couldn't be Happier and neither could my Wife. It's smoother at idle, smoother when i ride two up, smoother above 50-60-70-80, and i can ride all day and not get tired! what isn't their to Love about the FL's?

Old 11-01-2006, 09:11 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

This post has the bagger boys po'd...

https://www.hdforums.com/m_900236/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Old 11-01-2006, 09:27 PM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goodness gracious. It's bad enough that folks go out of their way to trash metrics, but trashing brothers and sisters within the MoCo family? Well, ok, maybe we can do that 'cuz we are brothers and sisters, but....

There are currently 4 HDs in my garage. 07 CUSE2 (my new baby), 03 RKC (the old dog), 04 FLSTFI (son's), and a 04 FXST (OL's). I've ridden 'em all and can see everybody's point and definitely have my own opinion. I'm 6'2" and 250 - all four of 'em feel small to me at times - - - FOR ME, the FLHTs are the ride of choice if I'm doing anything more than 20 miles of HWY riding. Can't stand the feeling of the soft tails at highway speeds... they are tiring to ride at high speeds for long distances compared to a touring packaged scoots.

I do get annoyed riding the RKC around town, partly because of the shaking (it's not vibration) and also because of its weight (and heat too). It is top heavy and doesn't lend itself to whipping around corners or in and out of traffic... again, it's built for long haul comfort - line it up, point it down the highway and awaaaaay you go. I've only managed 2800 miles on the CUSE2 since Sept 1, most around town, and it is better mannered than the RKC, but that's cuz it's still stock - as soon as the MoCo and BUB/Rinehart gets off their azzez and starts shipping upgrades for the 110cu that'll change (hehehe). I suspect that I'll end up liking the RKC better around town after the CUSE2 is in highway trim. Favorite speed for the RKC is 75, for the CUSE2 is 85+ (I just love that 6th gear).

I don't like riding the FXST much at all. Front end always feels like it wants to leave the ground - I'm past my wheelie days - and it just isn't "smooth" to me - particularly at anything above 65 - it's vibration. The OL hates the highway when she's on it too... she's much happier cruising 50-55 on secondary roads with it - and it's slammed, the seat barely comes up to my knees so it's not a weight distribution or center of gravity thing, it's just the way it rides (vibration).

Although I only have a few hours riding time on the FLSTFI, it does ok - except on windy days.... nothing like feeling the wheels are going to get blown right out from under you... in NM there are some really windy days and those solid rims really test your patience (but they look goooooooood). FOR ME, the FLSTFI fits nicely between the FXST and the RKC - in fact, there's a good chance that some day soon the RKC will get traded/sold and replaced with a FatBoy... I THINK (IMO) the FatBoy makes a sensible choice for an around the town cruiser, and the CUSE2 will become the long distance cruiser. And the OL has her eye on a Deluxe... I suspect the Deluxe will join the family before the RKC goes on to seek it's own destiny, but that wouldn't be by MY choice. It's either that or I gotta buy her a new cage... I'd much rather spend the money on a scoot - and just leave the "old" cage in the driveway.

To each their own, and for whatever purpose suits you best. Try 'em all and go with what YOU like.

And for what it's worth, recently the OL fell asleep riding on the back of the CUSE2... that woulda never happened on the RKC, the FLSTFI or the FXST...

Old 11-01-2006, 09:29 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: liltrk

I guess it comes down to the fact that we take the time to personalize our bikes that when we have to hop on to a "stock" one, we miss the things that make it our own.

You are right on with that. I rented an EG standard in Phoenix, partly because I have one at home. I forgot how "standard" they really are right out of the box. I knew it wouldn't have a radio, but I forgot about the EZ brake, highway pegs, ISO grips etc.

As for the motor, it doesn't bother me. I kind of like the shake. I certainly wouldn't consider it "violent", and I never liked the whirring noise of the countershaft. To each his own, I guess.
The more I read the more ridiculous.... please come on over and help me find the "whirring noise of the countershaft". Are you kidding?

Old 11-01-2006, 09:32 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

Sorry, love 'em both...

Name:  100_2196__Large_.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  127.7 KB
Name:  800x600lifts.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  70.3 KB