Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I rented a RK...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 04:25 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: So I rented a RK...

You need to sober up an then take another ride!! FLH's are the king of the road when in comes to comfort. Are you kidding me? It's to early for April fools dude!! No one can take you as credible when you make a statement like that.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:33 PM
ClinesSelect
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RandyM1911

If you're used to riding a softy, climbing on an "A" motor bike can be a little disconcerting. At idle, the mirrors shake so hard you can't see a thing out of them. The hand grips, foot rests, seat, etc., all buzz like a chainsaw at low rpm's.
My first HD was a Fat Boy, which I absolutely loved, but my wife found it uncomfortable and I did not like it above 65mph so we decided to trade it on a Road King Custom. I had never ridden an "A" motored bike and the dealer did not allow test rides.

So we are done with the paperwork and my wife is going to follow me home. I jump on the RKC, head down the street and come to the first stop sign and my very first experience with the rubber mounted motor at idle. I thought either there was something seriously wrong with this bike and a piston was about to shoot through the gas tank or this was biggest POS ever.

Long story short, I would like to have a Fat Boy as a second bike but I now love the "A" motored scoots....even at idle.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:47 PM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Balancers have only recently showed up on H-D. What would you guys have done in the old days?

Old 11-01-2006, 05:03 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Youre right! A big old dresser is not for everybody, thats why they make other models so the WHIMPS can have a choice.
ORIGINAL: dolson911

Went to Biketoberfest.

Didn't have a lot of time so I couldn't ride there. Decided to rent a bike (not sure if it's worse than trailering ) and figured a RK would be nice for 2-up riding. My wife has her own bike and therefore is not real keen on riding b#tch anymore - but a RoadKing should be more comfy than my Fatboy.

WRONG!

What a piece of crap. Damn. I though I had alzheimer's the way that rubber mounted hulk jiggled. Sure, everyone says they're sweet at 80 - BFD. If you spend all your time at 80, you're not enjoying the ride. Sorry to offend the FLH crowd. Top heavy. Way top heavy with a passenger. My wife thought she was trapped the way the bags restrict your leg position. The damn rear boards, or more like stairway landings, clips your ankles as you waddle through Main street traffic. Had them remove the windshield because when that thing starts shaking at idle your sure to strike an epileptic fit. Only saving grace was the bags. I know that it's a Harley and it should vibrate. Vibration is fine. Shaking sucks.

Not for me. Give me the counter balanced, well balanced, full wind-in-the-face sculpture that is a Softail. I can't believe I owned one of these things before my Fatboy.

I'm sorry I sinned. Forgive me - though I may have to try a Dyna next time. Oh, and don't take your wife on the back of a standard V-Rod. The seat will make sure you're, well, um, on your own for a few days.

-DO

Old 11-01-2006, 05:06 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow!!! I hate to say this but alot of you guy's sound like metric riders bashing Harleys. As soon as I let out the clutch the vibration smooths out. If you guy's think the A models vibrate that bad, then you sure the hell wouldn't be able to handle riding the older Evo's at all.
I've had both A and B Twin cams and I wouldn't trade my 04 carburetor RoadKing for anyother Motorcycle period.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: OzarkHarleyguy

Balancers have only recently showed up on H-D. What would you guys have done in the old days?
All of you Softail riders that ride the BB-engined bikes need to ride a pre-balanced rigid mounted softail to learn what vibration REALLY is. On a Heritage or a Fatboy, the vibration is so bad at 65 that your feet vibrate off the floorboards. Mirrors? Totally useless.......images are blurry blobs. Hands tingle now? Hah! Your arms up to your elbows started itching, then went totally numb. And if you stuck a cam in it...well velcro your **** to the saddle, brother.

Men were men in those days......some of the women, too!

Old 11-01-2006, 05:46 PM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Hell even the new counter-balanced motors suck on the highway.I got rid of my 06' deluxe for my King because constant cruiseing at 75-80 on the open highway had my feet vibrating off the bar pegs and my hands numb when i reached my destination.Not to mention how pissed the wifey was with her sore bottom![:'(]

Old 11-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Slyde
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sort-of makes me laugh. Newest bike I've ever owned...00 Ultra. I thought this was the smoothest ride I'd ever been on. Couldn't believe it, idle to cruise speeds. Have driven my buddies fake rigids, oop's I'm sorry, softtails(01 Dueces), thought they were the cats meow too. Course I'm comin' off my old shovel rigid to ride these great scoots.
All in fun...knees in the breeze.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:50 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both. An 03 Heritage Classic and an 06 Ultra Classic.

Other than when sitting stopped at idle and when exceeding 80 mph there is very little difference in vibration.

The Ultra engine shakes when idling, the Heritage engine "buzzes" when exceeding 80.

For those of you who can not handle the idle vibration of the "A" series motors you may want to spend sometime actually riding the bike instead of idling the bike.

What I have found is that the "sweet speed" on the Heritage is between 65 and 70. Above that the balancers create a bit of a buzz and fuel consuption increases. On the Ultra the "sweet speed" is between 80 and 90. Both bikes perform best with the RPM's between 2700 and 3000 RPM but the "A" series without the balancer will give better rider experience at sustained RPMs over 3000.

This is based on my observations with my bikes. YMMV

Old 11-01-2006, 06:05 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

When you get rid of that Dyna,you will probably want a Honda,Yamaha or etc.A Harley shakes and that is part of the experience.I rode a friends Dyna and it was like a import bike.

Quick Reply: So I rented a RK...