Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I rented a RK...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 06:33 PM
dolson911
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: So I rented a RK...

My wife kept saying that if the FLH's are the "luxury" bikes then why do the Softails get the better motor? Who gives a crap if the balancers take a pony or two to spin up. Talk about vibration - I had one of the first S&S 113" back in 97/98 and that thing would shake everything apart. Every oil change was a re-torque or replace things that broke off. No wonder I liked the "B" motors when they came out.

The fact that Dyna's only get the "A" motor makes we not want one even though they're nice looking bikes these days.

-DO

Old 10-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Now, ya'll be nice...everynow and then an FL'er drops by here to visit our cousins.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:38 PM
dolson911
Cruiser

Cousins?

Nope. Siblings. More matching DNA. Better rivalry.

Besides, in some parts cousins can marry...

-DO

Old 10-31-2006, 01:09 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whiskers

Now, ya'll be nice...everynow and then an FL'er drops by here to visit our cousins.

Damn! you have a nice looking ride dude.

Regards.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:40 PM
dolson911
Cruiser

Mimo - don't look into the light. Fight the urge. Turn away before it's too late. You've got enough FL features on your Fatboy (and I do see bag brackets back there too...).

-DO

Old 10-31-2006, 07:01 PM
McGillicutty
Intermediate

I love the Road King with it's heavy, chrome front end and old style nacelle. That being said, I just picked up my first HD and it's a Heritage Softail Classic. To me, it's the purest form and prettiest HD out there, the Softail that is. I had a hard time deciding which to get, Road King or Softail and had friends telling me the FLH bikes were far more comfortable, that the Softail suspension didn't work well, etc. I told them first off, I won't have time to ride across country, but rather my rides will be 2-4 hours of saddle time at one time at most. Besides, if I had to sell and move to the RK I can. Anyway, I don't have much time on either so I can't speak from experience but I do like what I'm hearing from you all. I've got the bike that I think looks best and from the sounds of it, I'm going to like the way it rides and handles. Just my opinion.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:55 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok fellas....So if I am correct, the RK rides rougher than Softails except at higher speeds? I'm planning on getting another bike to keep my Sporty company and I'm not sure if I should go with a RK Classic or a Softail Deluxe. I want it to be able to accomadate 2-up riding comfortably and a mix of hwy speeds and back road speeds. From these posts, I take it the Softail is the way to go...

Old 11-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Daves Deluxe
Novice

I'm with you all, a friend of mine has an EG great bike when cruiing above 50/mph a lot of nice features fairing radio etc. but definitly is a top heavy bike with the 26* rake you don't sit in the bike like the softails I have a Deluxe made into a long distance tourer put on old flh hard bags windshield, and putting on a 2/wheel tune radio this winter so now I have the best of both worlds and on my Deluxe I can ride all day and never get sore to me it's very comfortable don't know about 2/up don't do much of that

Old 11-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Fatbernie
Road Captain

I recommend taking a close look at the Heritage Softail Classic. Very nice. Wish I had one.
BA

Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it comes down to the fact that we take the time to personalize our bikes that when we have to hop on to a "stock" one, we miss the things that make it our own.

You are right on with that. I rented an EG standard in Phoenix, partly because I have one at home. I forgot how "standard" they really are right out of the box. I knew it wouldn't have a radio, but I forgot about the EZ brake, highway pegs, ISO grips etc.

As for the motor, it doesn't bother me. I kind of like the shake. I certainly wouldn't consider it "violent", and I never liked the whirring noise of the countershaft. To each his own, I guess.

Quick Reply: So I rented a RK...