Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wild Ride (wheel bearing fails)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:30 PM
RockerSE
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wild Ride (wheel bearing fails)

I got up this morning feeling froggy and jumped on the bike to head to work. Since I was dropping the bike off at HDOG for a dyno tune this evening I decided to push it a little on the interstate to have a good seat of the pants reference. I made it to work no problem, then me and a buddy hopped on our bikes to catch some bbq for lunch. We headed off in a staight line at about 45 mph, within a half mile and the rear end stepped out harshly and the rear started trying to lock up. I got it stopped without a big problem but thank goodness it didn't happen a mile or two sooner when I was really pushing it. Sucks to have the bearing fail & get hit with a $100 tow to boot, but I still feel lucky.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:49 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Pick up a lottery ticket on your way home man. The old body just doesn't take those hard falls anymore. Sit back in the garage, have a cold one, and tell all your buds how your superior riding skills saved the day!
Glad you are ok

Old 05-26-2011, 06:51 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a wild ride indeed. Glad your safe.

Have you done any work on the wheels or bearings lately? I can't imagine that a 2008 should have failed bearings already. How many miles on the scoot?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 PM
2WHEELFEVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

out of three close freind that all bought new bikes in 08 two of the had their front wheel bearings (one was a sporty the other was a softtail)

Old 05-26-2011, 07:45 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow that is crazy. I have heard of this before with custom wheels where the end play is wrong but that normally happens within a few miles of the first ride. Never heard of it on factory wheels. Sorry to hear man but you did get lucky.

But like mentioned above I would like to know if the wheels were stock and how many miles? Also have you taken the wheel off for anything?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:55 PM
RockerSE
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kkiley
The old body just doesn't take those hard falls anymore.
Yeah I hit the big 50 last week and I ain't talking mph!

Originally Posted by fcsallan
Have you done any work on the wheels or bearings lately? I can't imagine that a 2008 should have failed bearings already. How many miles on the scoot?
Only 8k miles on the scooter, rear tire replaced on stock rim about 3k miles ago. Other than the regular application of copious amounts of grin inducing torque to the rear wheel, nothing out of the ordinary.

Originally Posted by 2WHEELFEVER
out of three close freind that all bought new bikes in 08 two of the had their front wheel bearings (one was a sporty the other was a softtail)
When I priced the bearings at the stealership he said they had not seen this on the Rockers. He followed that up with a statement the bearings would be cheap. I told him obviously they were cheap, they only lasted 8k miles.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:25 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Wow, I know someone killed with the front wheel bearing going. You are fortunate. I've had two rear flats but no front flats. That is the scariest thing about bikes, loosing a wheel!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:31 PM
phillip171
2nd Gear

My 2008 Dyna Street Bob had the front bearings fail at 26,000 mi and the rear bearings just shot craps at 28,600 mi. My mechanic said they were bone dry. I bought the bike at 2,500 mi and never had a power washer on it. Can't say that about the original owner.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 PM
phillip171
2nd Gear

My 2008 Dyna Street Bob

Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RockerSE
I got up this morning feeling froggy and jumped on the bike to head to work. Since I was dropping the bike off at HDOG for a dyno tune this evening I decided to push it a little on the interstate to have a good seat of the pants reference. I made it to work no problem, then me and a buddy hopped on our bikes to catch some bbq for lunch. We headed off in a staight line at about 45 mph, within a half mile and the rear end stepped out harshly and the rear started trying to lock up. I got it stopped without a big problem but thank goodness it didn't happen a mile or two sooner when I was really pushing it. Sucks to have the bearing fail & get hit with a $100 tow to boot, but I still feel lucky.
G-damn .... you are lucky. Ive had a nightmare of that bearing going at 70-80....

Quick Reply: Wild Ride (wheel bearing fails)