Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wild Ride (wheel bearing fails)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 05:38 AM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow. Of all the things that can happen on a bike (getting hit, falling off, etc...), wheel/tire failure is my only true fear. I am REALLY obsessive about it. Just the other day after just starting out on a ride, I SWORE that my rear wheel was loose. Felt like the axle loosened up and the wheel was moving laterally. Put it in N and coasted off the highway. Turned out to be nothing, but THAT'S how atuned to my wheels I am.

Glad you were able to keep the shiny side up.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:22 AM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost one going about 70 and was able to pull over. It made a huge racket and had I kept going it would have locked up. It was the old non sealed bearings. Now I pack every tire and replace every other tire. I have not heard of this happening on the newer sealed bearings (kinda scary).

Old 05-27-2011, 11:59 AM
meatsack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF...a major safety component and they are failing on newer bikes? That is the stuff class action lawsuits are made of. Especially if people are getting hurt or dying.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:31 PM
RockerSE
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lazyboy09
I was getting a creaking/squealing noise out of the rear on my bike when i moved it not under power. I thought it was the belt. Turns out it was the rear bearings. They were tight enough that I couldn't spin them by hand with the wheel off. I believe I had the belt too tight and burned them up. I've since bought the belt tension tool and have had no issues like I did before.
I thought about belt tension. The rear has only been off once, 3k miles ago and then the stealership set the tension. I ASSume they set it correctly but we know how that goes. I really had no warning on this one. Since I was riding it to work leaving early in the morning I pushed the bike quite a bit farther than I normally do before cranking it so as to minimize the bitching from my neighbors about me firing it up before 6:00 AM. Even with pushing it an extended distance and with the dead quite of the morning it gave no hint of being tight. This thing just failed. I work in the racing industry specifically with tires. We have three failure modes, thump thump thump... thump thump boom... or boom smack! This was a boom smack kind of failure (no warning)

Old 05-27-2011, 01:14 PM
lazyboy09
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
Good point lazyboy09 and good catch before it failed while on the road.

Where's your sig picture? You doing something sneaky with your Rocker?
My computer illiteracy is rearing it's ugly head with the sig pic. I can't get one to post, tried several times. I know I must be doing it wrong somehow. LOL

Old 05-27-2011, 03:11 PM
behan
Novice

What is a ballpark reasonable price for a stealer to replace bearings?

Old 05-27-2011, 04:40 PM
RockerSE
Road Captain

Originally Posted by behan
What is a ballpark
reasonable price for a stealer to replace bearings?
Don't know yet. I have been playing phone tag between flights. As I had feared the outer race spun and locked up the race in the housing. Long story short is I am likely in the market for a rear wheel.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Vins
Club Member

Originally Posted by RockerSE
Yeah I hit the big 50 last week and I ain't talking mph!

Only 8k miles on the scooter, rear tire replaced on stock rim about 3k miles ago. Other than the regular application of copious amounts of grin inducing torque to the rear wheel, nothing out of the ordinary.

When I priced the bearings at the stealership he said they had not seen this on the Rockers. He followed that up with a statement the bearings would be cheap. I told him obviously they were cheap, they only lasted 8k miles.
Is it possible you applied a little too much torque to the rear wheel? Too much and the wheel won't spin freely.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:09 PM
kaynine840
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, harley used to use Timken bearings i think and switched to cheap chinese bearings cause they were cheaper. i for one would pay a couple extra bucks for the proven ones