Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wild Ride (wheel bearing fails)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RockerSE
Yeah I hit the big 50 last week and I ain't talking mph!

Only 8k miles on the scooter, rear tire replaced on stock rim about 3k miles ago. Other than the regular application of copious amounts of grin inducing torque to the rear wheel, nothing out of the ordinary.

When I priced the bearings at the stealership he said they had not seen this on the Rockers. He followed that up with a statement the bearings would be cheap. I told him obviously they were cheap, they only lasted 8k miles.
Glad you were able to keep it up and stopped safely. That doesn't sound right them failing that soon.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 PM
pa pa Ricky
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you made it shiny side up. Lost rear on 2008 fat boy at 12,000 started getting noisy. found it befor it failed. stock wheel one new tire.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley switched bearing makers about 08. They used to be good for over 100k. Now it's a crap shoot. If it were me I would be looking at replacing them with high quality bearings purchased from someone other then a harley dealer.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:52 PM
RockerSE
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
Harley switched bearing makers about 08. They used to be good for over 100k. Now it's a crap shoot. If it were me I would be looking at replacing them with high quality bearings purchased from someone other then a harley dealer.
Good thought and what I would have done had I not been in a time crunch. I have been waiting almost two weeks for my dyno spot on the 31st. This would not be an issue except for the fact I am flying out to Lime Rock Park tomorrow AM for the Memorial Day Classic and will not be back until the 1st. Alas not only am I buying them from the stealership, I am even paying them to put them in.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I don't blame you. You gotta do whatever keeps you in the wind the most. Might want to research bearings for the next time you have the wheel off. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 AM
lazyboy09
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was getting a creaking/squealing noise out of the rear on my bike when i moved it not under power. I thought it was the belt. Turns out it was the rear bearings. They were tight enough that I couldn't spin them by hand with the wheel off. I believe I had the belt too tight and burned them up. I've since bought the belt tension tool and have had no issues like I did before.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good point lazyboy09 and good catch before it failed while on the road.

Where's your sig picture? You doing something sneaky with your Rocker?

Old 05-27-2011, 02:20 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Since I'm deaf and could feel my '09 Ultra's front end's wobble. Good thing, I was at my dealer to get the cupped front tire replaced as I told the mechanic that the front end's wobbling. He changed the tire, test drove my bike and came back nodding his head...No, You're not taking your bike home today. Gave me an SG loaner for 2 days. Found that the both bearings went bad and inspected others for possible problems to no avail. He replaced bearings covered by HD's 2 year warranty.

Extremely glad HD took a good care of me.

Thorey

Old 05-27-2011, 03:33 AM
RockerSE
Road Captain

Interesting point on the cupped front tire. I had the front tire replaced week before last due to cupping, I will check the front bearings.

I also thought about the belt tension. I ASSumed the stealership tensioned it correctly when they replaced my rear tire.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:31 AM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow this is crazy stuff. I know they switched to crap bearings for cams on EVO's but that is not as bad as a wheel bearing. I am glad now that I have the old non-sealed bearings. I can take the wheels off and repack/inspect the bearings myself and only pay for some cheap wheel seals.

Quick Reply: Wild Ride (wheel bearing fails)