Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations on riding boots

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:53 PM
alika808
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dyebartdie
I wear these...(but not at the same time)

Hey bro what boots are the ones on top?

Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 PM
dyebartdie
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Red Wing 8130's

Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 PM
alika808
Tourer

Originally Posted by dyebartdie
Red Wing 8130's
Thanks bro

Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
I have been considiring those Frontier for long time, went with shorter Icon version of them.
I wonder, if you can put a 'review' on your test for them ? comfort ? handling ?are you on floorboard ? forward controls ? , can you walk with them in a long day ? hot/cold weather ? etc. ..

They are stiff and noisy at first. Have been loosening up quite a bit. I wear them on everything I ride....Ultra, Uly, Heritage, FXR...I wanted a good boot to do about anything. I have been wearing Doc Marten (steel toes) pull ons and some old Cabela 10" lace-ups forever...and they are way past time for retirement.

On the floorboards, I have to position my knees to get my feet flat on the boards. It was kind of odd at first, but once I realized I didn't have to velcro my shin piece so tight, I could put my feet flat. My Ultra has highway pegs that I use quite a bit too. My Springer just has the boards.
The forward controls on my FXR are no problems at all. I did have to adjust my shifter up two splines though, but I need to do that with my Doc Martens anyhow.

My Uly and Lightning have sportbike pegs, so they work great on them...

One thing the reviews talk about is the noise they make. The plastic hinges squeak against the leather/man-made sides of the boots...rather annoying. I have been using mink oil and that has stopped probably 80% of the squeak when walking. I'm still not going to sneak up on anyone though.

I can walk around in them fairly easily now that they are getting more broken in. Need to put a whole summer's worth of mileage on them though. I was kind of let down when I first got them because of the noise and how stiff they were, but every day I like them more and more.

I did have a low-side with my Docs on a few years back, after that, I realized that your feet are easily injured, and the ankles can be damaged with just a short slide...getting old I suppose.

Last edited by frontiercat; 05-26-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I almost lost my leg when a drunk driver tee'd me, and I was in Docs too.

Thank you so much for the review, I have the floorboards extensions so this helps my comfort on the boards (I put XBones boards on my FXST).

Thanks again I have always wanted to know about these, they seem to provide the best protection in case you get caught under the bike with no guards.

Originally Posted by frontiercat
They are stiff and noisy at first. Have been loosening up quite a bit. I wear them on everything I ride....Ultra, Uly, Heritage, FXR...I wanted a good boot to do about anything. I have been wearing Doc Marten (steel toes) pull ons and some old Cabela 10" lace-ups forever...and they are way past time for retirement.

On the floorboards, I have to position my knees to get my feet flat on the boards. It was kind of odd at first, but once I realized I didn't have to velcro my shin piece so tight, I could put my feet flat. My Ultra has highway pegs that I use quite a bit too. My Springer just has the boards.

I did have a low-side with my Docs on a few years back, after that, I realized that your feet are easily injured, and the ankles can be damaged with just a short slide...getting old I suppose.

The forward controls on my FXR are no problems at all. I did have to adjust my shifter up two splines though, but I need to do that with my Doc Martens anyhow.

My Uly and Lightning have sportbike pegs, so they work great on them...

One thing the reviews talk about is the noise they make. The plastic hinges squeak against the leather/man-made sides of the boots...rather annoying. I have been using mink oil and that has stopped probably 80% of the squeak when walking. I'm still not going to sneak up on anyone though.

I can walk around in them fairly easily now that they are getting more broken in. Need to put a whole summer's worth of mileage on them though. I was kind of let down when I first got them because of the noise and how stiff they were, but every day I like them more and more.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

Sidi Canyon Gortex.
Comfortable out of the box, fully waterproof, great protection without looking like a Power Ranger, and flexible enough to walk all day when you get to your destination.
Do a Google search and you'll likely find that they score very well with customer and professional reviews.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:44 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Redder
i bought a pair of steel toe Dr. Martens boots about 6 months ago and i absolutely love them for riding.
X2 on the Doc Martens steel toes. Very comfortable, stylish too.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 AM
meatsack
Banned

I went to buy some Redwings...but he local store didn't carry the motorcycle boots. They could order them, but who want's to wait a week for them to come in. Or if the size isn't right and wait another week.

I found some closeout HD boots on sale for $60.00 and they've been great. Especially after I removed all the stupid HD logos off them. I don't know why they have to do that.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 AM
bikersurgeon
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got three pair of harley boots that I like OK, but my favorite pair is still the Hi-Tec Magnum hiking boots.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chippewa Harness boots. I might be in violation of California style, of course I didn't know there was a boot style based on which state you're in.

Quick Reply: Recommendations on riding boots