Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear brakes binding

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011 | 02:15 PM
RANGER73
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default rear brakes binding

I looked though the search and couldn't find any info, so I'll ask.
Took the bike out today, first nice day in two weeks.
Just around the block to work though the "Seafoam" I put in the tank.
Anyway, I get home and can't roll back, the rear brake peddle is locked down and no play, and tire can't spin. Put her up on the jack and can't move it. So I proceed to crack open the bleeder, expecting a real pisser, but nope, just enough to release the piston and pads. I back her up in neutral, hit rear brake, and it happens again. So I crack the bleeder again, same thing happens. Take her out around the block again, and it's not as tight, but dragging. someone suggested to flush the brake fluid.
It's a 94 fxstc, real low mileage (160). The bike's new, and new to me. But that's another story.

Old 05-25-2011 | 02:58 PM
RANGER73
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Bump,
come-on, any body?

Old 05-25-2011 | 06:43 PM
RANGER73
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Bump, Any help would be appriciated.

Old 05-25-2011 | 06:46 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

I had this happen to me a week or so after my last service. Had air get in the line somehow. HD came and picked it up and fixed it all under warranty. No charge. I wouldn't play around with the brakes. Have it looked at right away.

Old 05-26-2011 | 06:15 PM
RANGER73
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks, just to conferm, your rear brakes were locking up? Do to air in the line? Foot peddle was hard (no movement)?

Old 05-26-2011 | 06:29 PM
95yj
Road Captain

Air would cause a spongy pedal, not a locked up brake.

It sounds like the valve in your master cylinder isn't allowing the fluid to flow back into the reservoir to release the line pressure when you take your foot off the brake. That would mean a rebuild on the master cylinder or a new one. I would think that the brake pedal would come back up though even with pressure in the line. Flushing all the brake fluid wouldn't be a bad idea especially if it's been sitting in there for 18 years.

The other possibility is that your calipers are sticking. It's not uncommon on calipers to get a rust ring inside the cylinder. Sometimes you can clean it up by running the piston in and out. Other times it's time for a caliper rebuild. Take the brakes off the bike and run the piston in and out with a c-clamp and the brake pedal.

If you try to run the piston in and out, make sure that the c-clamp is loose enough to allow the piston movement but tight enough so you don't pop the piston out of the cylinder. If you do that, you get to rebuild your caliper anyways.

Old 05-26-2011 | 07:06 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Thanks, just to conferm, your rear brakes were locking up? Do to air in the line? Foot peddle was hard (no movement)?
yes. What happened was a spongy brake pedal on the way home from work. So I pumped it and as I pumped it the brakes got tighter and tighter. I just made it home. After that, they stayed locked for a day or so and finally started to loosen enough for them to push the bike out of the garage and onto HD's trailer. The fixed it...no charge. But it was kind of a scary feeling having no rear brakes on the ride home.

Old 05-26-2011 | 07:25 PM
RANGER73
|
Seasoned HDF Member

If I crack the bleeder, every thing goes back to normal. Fluid or master cylinder? Sounds like master cylinder but I don't want to replace or rebuild if I'm not positive. Might replace brake fluid first,and see what happens.
What do you think?

Old 05-26-2011 | 07:30 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior

I don't know, if it were me, I think i would rebuild the caliper first. That and flush the fluids out of the lines. If the problem survives this, then look into the master cylinder.

I only say the caliper fist because if the piston is binding in one spot, it would be easy for it to stop the piston from retracting enough to lock the rotor.

I don't play when it comes to brakes. Go big so you can get home.

Old 05-26-2011 | 07:42 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior

I second the rebuild on caliper or just take apart a clean and grease pistons . just did to my front brakes there were making a heck of a noise at low speeds. One piston was hanging up. Put new brake fluid and bleed them good.

Quick Reply: rear brakes binding