Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making decision, looking for pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:34 PM
djfuzzy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making decision, looking for pros and cons

EDIT: Update on page 3

How's it going everyone? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new bike and have it narrowed down to two choices. My choices are based on my only experience being my dad's and uncle's motorcycles...pops has an American Ironhorse Tejas and uncle has an Outlaw. I've driven both of them before and would love to have one, but the cost outweighs my bank account.

I've been doing some research and decided I want to buy a brand new Harley, and I'm leaning towards a Rocker-C or a Blackline. My reason for buying brand new despite all the quality used bikes that are available is because I want the oppurtunity to make this bike my own.

So from experienced riders with either of these two bikes, are there any little quirky characteristics about these two choices? Are there any things on these bikes that I will want to change as soon as I roll off the dealer's lot (IE bars for the Blackline, I see a lot of folks making that change)?

I want this bike to enjoy on commutes to work and a little bit of weekend riding once I settle in California in the next few months. I want to make at least a few trips to Vegas from where I'll be in 29 Palms, so long duration comfort isn't really a huge issue for me.

Sorry for the novel, but I have a hard time keeping it simple. Thanks for any input y'all can provide.

EDIT: I know I won't really know which one to choose until I get on them, but I'm just looking for some opinions.

Last edited by djfuzzy; 07-09-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:09 PM
rockerz
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't comment on the blackiline, but I love my Rocker.

The things you will want to change on any bike you choose is endless & never stops. My suggestion is look up threads on this site, make a plan on any chnges you would like to make & set an end goal. This will save you $ so you aren't removing parts you installed because of change of mind.

With the Rocker you will want to change the seat for sure. I have a Danny Gray & happy with it, there are a few other brands out there.

Which ever you choose I sure you will be enjoy your choice.

Good luck & post pics when you pull the trigger.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:11 PM
cryan9
Road Captain

I don't like the way either one of those come stock. I hate the stock handlebar setup on the Rocker and the skinny tank. I don't like the skinny rear tire on the Blackline. But I've seen some of each done up pretty nice. If I had to chose between the two, I would chose the Blackline.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 PM
djfuzzy
Advanced

Originally Posted by rockerz
I can't comment on the blackiline, but I love my Rocker.

The things you will want to change on any bike you choose is endless & never stops. My suggestion is look up threads on this site, make a plan on any chnges you would like to make & set an end goal. This will save you $ so you aren't removing parts you installed because of change of mind.

With the Rocker you will want to change the seat for sure. I have a Danny Gray & happy with it, there are a few other brands out there.

Which ever you choose I sure you will be enjoy your choice.

Good luck & post pics when you pull the trigger.
Thanks for the input, what exactly is it about the seat that you didn't like? Was it the comfort or the position?
Originally Posted by cryan9
I don't like the way either one of those come stock. I hate the stock handlebar setup on the Rocker and the skinny tank. I don't like the skinny rear tire on the Blackline. But I've seen some of each done up pretty nice. If I had to chose between the two, I would chose the Blackline.
I agree that they are both kind of plain looking from the factory, but in my eyes that's what makes em perfect. I don't plan on having it factory finish for too long. I can keep my hands off my wrenches.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "Trick seat" on the FXCWC leaves you sitting on about .5 inches of padding.
The stock handle bar position isn't bad, but I wanted apes.

I have a FXSTC so it was only natural I'd want the FXCWC.
Both came with custom painted frames.

Look through the Rocker pictures in the Softail picture section of the forum.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:19 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain

I would go with the Blackline because I never see them on the street and they look better with apes IMO.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:20 PM
djfuzzy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kowan
The "Trick seat" on the FXCWC leaves you sitting on about .5 inches of padding.
The stock handle bar position isn't bad, but I wanted apes.

I have a FXSTC so it was only natural I'd want the FXCWC.
Both came with custom painted frames.

Look through the Rocker pictures in the Softail picture section of the forum.
Oh, .5" of seat pad doesn't sound too good to me. I've been looking at seats all day and there are so many options. This HD thing is going to get just as addicting and costly as my Jeep. And now that I have a 5th post I guess I should be able to see pictures.
Originally Posted by 09heritagerider
I would go with the Blackline because I never see them on the street and they look better with apes IMO.
Yeah, imagine hardly ever seeing any kind of Harley Davidson on the road over here in Hawaii. And when I do, there are some nice ones, but I get tired of seeing (and hearing) all the crotch rockets all over the place.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

I got my Danny Gray seat on ebay for $300 from the seller, sterlingseatsinc
I won it with the only bid. The same seat direct from Danny Gray would have been $700+.
Here's a search finding @ ebay for Danny Gray seats
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313
The DG seat has you sitting lower and changes the feel from riding on the bike to riding in the bike.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Bluemidnight
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say go with the rocker.It is original and a great platform to mod and make even more original.Ive owned and ridden many bikes and my rocker is one of my favorites.I love the way it leans into turns and handles.It is one of the more aggressive harleys i have ridden.Puts a smile on your face.With that said your mileage may very.Good luck with your choice and happiness is in your future with any Harley you pick

Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

Don't overthink it, get the one that was your first impulse. Your gut has already decided and that is the one. Buy it, ride it, and then start thinking about making it your own. There is no rush. Whatever you get will run great and look good out the door. Get to know it, then have your way with it.

Quick Reply: Making decision, looking for pros and cons