Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making decision, looking for pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 PM
acrich
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

either way - how can you go wrong - it's HD --- like the Rocker though

Old 05-23-2011, 09:44 PM
djfuzzy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluemidnight
I would say go with the rocker.It is original and a great platform to mod and make even more original.Ive owned and ridden many bikes and my rocker is one of my favorites.I love the way it leans into turns and handles.It is one of the more aggressive harleys i have ridden.Puts a smile on your face.With that said your mileage may very.Good luck with your choice and happiness is in your future with any Harley you pick
I'm definitely leaning towards the Rocker. Seems like a more cost effective starting point for me, looking at parts and prices all day is making the Blackline more and more expensive haha.
Originally Posted by fdb2007
Don't overthink it, get the one that was your first impulse. Your gut has already decided and that is the one. Buy it, ride it, and then start thinking about making it your own. There is no rush. Whatever you get will run great and look good out the door. Get to know it, then have your way with it.
I like your style man. I'm an instinct buyer just trying to play my cards right. My first instinct was a Night Train, but I really want a brand new bike.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 PM
djfuzzy
Advanced

Originally Posted by acrich
either way - how can you go wrong - it's HD --- like the Rocker though
Maybe I should rob a bank and get both.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 PM
cliffusaf
Intermediate

I had the same dilema just a month ago. I test rode all new bikes, Rocker C, Blackline, Dyna, and even a 2010 Softail Custom that never sold. Without question, I like the way the Rocker C rode better than any of them. I will admit I liked the new Dyna Wide Glide a bunch, but in the end, the Rocker just had it in looks and ride (in my opinion). Again, IMO the Blackline rode the worst of all of them and the first thing I asked was how many options you had on the handlebars and at present the answer is zero (at least the salesman told me that). The bars are bolted straight in and no substitute yet--I'm sure there will be soon. At any rate, you can't go wrong with any of them, but I agree with what as said earlier--go with your gut and get what appeals most to you. Good luck!!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 AM
TalonIILM
Cruiser
Thumbs up Rocker C or Blackline

djfuzzy

I own a 2011 Rocker C so I may be a bit biased. I will say that pipes, air cleaner and seat were the first upgrades I made. For me it was the lines and big tire that I liked when I was making my decision. Once I saw the Blackline in person I was very impressed. Some times less is more and in the case of the Blackline I feel Harley Davidson hit a home run. I looked at both machines a blank canvases that allows the owner to make it their own.
(Of note, Rocker C's are out of production so better snap one up quick. I had to contact several dealers before I found mine, (vivid black).)

Take a look at post by the guy that just put the black apes on his Blackline... outstanding !!! Look closely, he's been busy making several upgrades...

Either way you go you won't be disappointed particularly once you begin making it own.

Best of luck on your quest,

Talon

( Be sure to post pics of your choice)

Attached Thumbnails Making decision, looking for pros and cons-cimg0969.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011, 06:26 AM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master

Get the rocker!!!it is the last year they are making them.the black line is a cheap night train replacement.skinny tire,weird spedo placement,the bars???the rocker is more but well worth it,if i could afford one i would own one.as its the last year,it will be the most collectable and will keeps it's value,in 5 years you will thank me..lol

Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

I've never been a fan of the rockers but after some forum members modified theirs with quite a bit of money I liked them. I don't care for the rear fender/seat set up. The other thing I don't like is if you get the more expensive one (the C, I believe) the frame is painted the same color as the bike, which limits you to custom painting your scoot. Unless you pull everything from the frame and repaint. I'm not bashing the rocker, some of you have made them into amazing bikes. They're just not my cup o tea from the factory.

So far I like the new blacklines. I don't care for the riser setup, you'll have to wait for the aftermarket to catch up. i'd go with a springer set up right away.

Whatever you choose, have fun making it yours. Good luck!!

Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Reb DEATH
Cruiser

personally, I am saying the rocker too. I think it is unique. However, I have one. To me, the Rocker is the best single seat cruiser around.

My only complaint is the way the rockers wide back tire/narrow tire front catch all of the road groves at low speeds. I travel a lot of roads in Germany with heavy gravel trucks and when traffic is slow, it is a pain in the ***.

Final note, the rocker with a heartland or danny gray and some wild 1 10 or 12 inch drag bars is just pure money. going that way with mine at the end of the riding season.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:46 PM
djfuzzy
Advanced

Definitely itching to get seated on a Rocker now...can't look at pictures here on this forum, but I've been checking out Google a bunch and reading reviews plus all the input from this thread. Man, y'all are good. I'm gonna go this weekend to the local HD dealership and try to get my butt on one, and try to avoid buying it...don't want to pay that Aloha Mark-Up price.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:59 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

If you liked the Night Train, find one and buy it. Don't be afraid of a used bikes. There are a lot of posers out there who like the idea of owning a Harley, but don't ride them. What that means is there are plenty of gently used Harleys. There are 7 HDs on my block ranging from a Dyna to a full dresser. The best looking one IMO is my riding partner's Night Train. I put his over my Heritage or the others anyday. The only issue is it rides like a truck--it's been lowered. The 88s do a cam tensioner issue that needs to be addressed at around 20K miles. Other than that, they are bullet proof.

Quick Reply: Making decision, looking for pros and cons