Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want new paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:00 PM
mke125125
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want new paint

how hard and what is involved with removing the tank on a 04 heratige? i feel comfortable with the fenders and can get the paint done at cost for paint. but i dont know about what needs to be done for the tank (injected) to prepare for baking and what not.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Surprising that nobody has posted anything to help you out. I dont have a heritage but my rocker is fairly simple. Run the tank down to nearly empty and have a can standing by when you take that crossover line. Just go slow and be methodical if you dont have a manual...easy thing to do.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mke125125
how hard and what is involved with removing the tank on a 04 heratige? i feel comfortable with the fenders and can get the paint done at cost for paint. but i dont know about what needs to be done for the tank (injected) to prepare for baking and what not.
+1 on the run the tank to empty and follow the service manual, not hard just messy if there's a lot of fuel left over.

Who's going to do your paint job for the cost of the paint? A good friend I hope and what color are you think. I'm thinking of a retro paint scheme for my black and silver 03 but people say I will ruin the "anniversary edition" value is I do that.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:08 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didnt bake mine

Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 PM
SMF
Banned

Originally Posted by thetroupe
+1 on the run the tank to empty and follow the service manual, not hard just messy if there's a lot of fuel left over.

Who's going to do your paint job for the cost of the paint? A good friend i hope and what color are you think. I'm thinking of a retro paint scheme for my black and silver 03 but people say i will ruin the "anniversary edition" value is i do that.
screw it bro just do what you want its your bike, you can always paint it back its not like you cant buy the sticker stripes they put on those things anyways

Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain

In my opinion removing the rear fender is more difficult than the tank. Have a helper support the fender as the strut bolts are removed.

Tank removal - as suggested, purchase the service manual and carefully follow each step. Also, using a Mity-Vac makes the drainage process easier.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTroupe

Who's going to do your paint job for the cost of the paint? A good friend I hope and what color are you think. I'm thinking of a retro paint scheme for my black and silver 03 but people say I will ruin the "anniversary edition" value is I do that.
Maybe you can pick up a set of tins and keep your original in tact. that way you can always put them back on. e bay always has tins on there if your patient you will find a set

Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 PM
aquaelvis
Tourer

I'm thinking of a retro paint scheme for my black and silver 03 but people say I will ruin the "anniversary edition" value is I do that.
I have picked up 2 extra sets of tins over the past couple months. I left my stock HD tins untouched and will sell them later. I got one set mix-matched and one set complete. (05 deluxe- wht/blu)
I paid about $300-$350 a set. (no dents) Just find a set, paint those and leave the stockers. That way your bike doesn't even need to be off the road for paint!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 PM
mke125125
Road Captain

my little brother is a pro painter,does it for a living. he just dont know scoots. thanks for the thoughts. isnt something in the tank you gotta take out?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:57 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mke125125
my little brother is a pro painter,does it for a living. he just dont know scoots. thanks for the thoughts. isnt something in the tank you gotta take out?
If you can get away without baking the tank you can leave the fuel pump and such inside it.
But if your planning on baking the new paint on I would remove the fuel pump.
You 'should', according to HD, get a new set of screws/gasket to reinstall it after the paints done.
The other thing that will need to be removed is the gas gauge.
If you don't have a manual already, this kind of thing is the best reason you'll ever get for buying one.

Quick Reply: want new paint