Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Stall

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:53 AM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mystery Stall

I've had my Deluxe out of the garage a few times over the winter. It's always plugged in when sitting. Early this week I put a plate on it and the next morning off we go to work. I get a few kms in and coming into a curve at Stave Dam I encounter a nasty speed bump. One that could bottom me out. I gear down quick and back off the throttle, only to stall out when I hit first. I restart as I glide over the speed bump. It started right away with kind of a fart but it happened again further down the road at a stop. So, every stop i came to i had to keep on the throttle to keep the revs up otherwise it would stall.
It wasn't until I got to work and pulled into the back lot and tried it again and sure enough it stalled. Once I parked it I started to read stuff about "stalling" throughout the day. Since yesterday, it hasn't stalled once. Actually runs awesome.
My long winded point is.. is this a sign of a sensor going. Could it be a gulp of bad gas or some crud caught up somewhere.

Is there anyone out there plagued by strange stalls?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:57 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Without knowing what year and whether it's carbed or FI, I would still go with a fuel issue that will either go away or get worse. When I lived "North", I always drained the fuel system completely and sealed it up for the winter. It is the best way to avoid problems with debris, destabilized gas, sticky parts, etc.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:36 AM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it was some accumulated moisture in your fuel tank from sitting over the winter that is working its way out. Especially with the Ethanol being added to gas nowadays.