Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge - worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:37 AM
FireFighter25
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge - worth it or not?

I just purchased a 2006 Softail Standard (FXSTI), but the previous owner replaced the fuel gauge with a cloisonne medallion. Is this a removable item that is stuck on the factory fuel gauge or is it a replacement? I would like a fuel gauge, so I have an idea on how much fuel I have left in my tank. For now, I am resetting my trip everytime I fuel up and monitoring my mileage. Is the fuel gauge simply a waste of time? I have been reading that numerous people have issues with the analog fuel gauges. Any thoughts?

Old 05-17-2011, 07:06 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,450 Likes on 2,597 Posts

didn't have a gauge for 30+ years before the Train.Might have run out of gas 2-3 times by misjudging the next town or exit.160 miles I look for gas on my 05.Lots of other things to spend money on.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:12 AM
SalsaNChips
Tourer

I have an analog fuel gauge on my '02 and I use it all the time -- with the understanding it only registers about 60% of the fuel actually in the tank (when it reads "E", I still have another 40-60 miles). But I fill up when it reads "E" anyway. Agree that the odometer is more accurate method however the fuel gauge does have a certain usefulness, IMO.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I bet its just the medallion glued on the stock gauge. Look under your tank on the gauge side, are there wires underneath coming out from a small hole?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 AM
spoonie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found my factory gauge inaccurate. I replaced ot with one of the LED gauges and it is Way better. It is easier to see and alot more accurate. The LED's do dim at night so it is not irritating. If I were to do it again I would probably go with the flush mount in Black instead of the skulls (which have been discontinued). I may have to invest in another set. I might be able to offset the price with selling the skulls.........

Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 AM
FireFighter25
1st Gear

Originally Posted by spoonie
I found my factory gauge inaccurate. I replaced ot with one of the LED gauges and it is Way better. It is easier to see and alot more accurate. The LED's do dim at night so it is not irritating. If I were to do it again I would probably go with the flush mount in Black instead of the skulls (which have been discontinued). I may have to invest in another set. I might be able to offset the price with selling the skulls.........
I was looking at the LED gauge and fuel cap, but I can't see myself spending $150 on the gauge alone. My bike came with the skulls on the engine and mirrors, so the skulls would go well with my bike.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:35 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

Doesn't your speedometer have a function to tell you when you're low on gas? I can't remember what year that was added? My '08 has it. When you get down to about 30 miles left, it should automatically change over and tell you how many miles you have remaining. It may not be 100% correct...but it should do what you want? Also, I just changed out my speedo for the HD new speedo/tach which also registers your gas. You could just change that out? You won't need that fuel gauge anymore then.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by jbg
Also, I just changed out my speedo for the HD new speedo/tach which also registers your gas. You could just change that out? You won't need that fuel gauge anymore then.
Actually, not true. The system as configured requires the resistance from *a* fuel gauge wired to the stock wires that run to the gauge. If you dont have a gauge (either stock or the LED gauge kit), it will display no fuel on the speedo/tach combo and the low fuel light will always be on.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 AM
F117ewo
Cruiser

I have an 06 FXSTSI. The fuel gauge is a good item to have. The gauge may not be that accurate, but as a relative indicator, it's fine. The best part is that it turns on the yellow "low fuel" light on the dash when I get near the last gallon of fuel. I still watch my miles though. At 160, I start looking for fuel, even though I could probably go to 180 or so. I've never run out of fuel and have always had at least half a gallon left in the tank (i.e. I've never put in more than 4.5 gal.).

Jake

Old 05-17-2011, 09:21 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Actually, not true. The system as configured requires the resistance from *a* fuel gauge wired to the stock wires that run to the gauge. If you dont have a gauge (either stock or the LED gauge kit), it will display no fuel on the speedo/tach combo and the low fuel light will always be on.
Well actually...he hasn't confirmed that his gauge isn't working yet. It may be there and be working, but he just can't see it. You need to check your speedo and see if it has the miles remaining in it. If so, it'll light up when it gets low and tell you how many miles are left. If that's the case, then you're good to get whatever speedo/tach you want or just fix your current gauge to be seen.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge - worth it or not?