Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Cover - Silver to Black

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wrinkle Black in Powder Coating (at least at my PCer) was called "Hot Rod Texture Black"..

Keep in mind it's glossier than the engine because it was fresh powdercoating and i hadn't cleaned the engine yet.. and also keep in mind that it won't match the engine 100%, Nor will the Harley Wrinkle Black one that you can buy.. my dad has that one on his NightTrain and you can still see an apparent difference in the blacks.

Btw, the entire silver part is called the "Primary Cover"..the black circle cover is called the "Inspection Cover" and if you go to the other side of your bike, the thing that says "Six Speed" is your transmission cover

Old 05-19-2011, 05:55 PM
4-Banger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or round is Derby - Oval is inspection - on older TCs

Old 05-19-2011, 06:00 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
and also keep in mind that it won't match the engine 100%, Nor will the Harley Wrinkle Black one that you can buy.. my dad has that one on his NightTrain and you can still see an apparent difference in the blacks.

Btw, the entire silver part is called the "Primary Cover"..the black circle cover is called the "Inspection Cover" and if you go to the other side of your bike, the thing that says "Six Speed" is your transmission cover
My primary cover and derby cover may not match "100%", but I can't tell the difference. The photo on the prior page speaks for itself. The "circle cover" is also called the "derby cover". The "inspection cover" is the smaller rectangular cover plate on some of the primary covers. Mostly, found on the older bikes from what I've seen since the 2010-11 Lo's I've seen don't have an inspection cover on the primary.

Here's an entire thread devoted to "derby covers":
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ts-see-em.html

Here's a couple of links to an "inspection cover":
http://www.cyclesolutions.net/index....dson%20SOFTAIL

http://www.demonscycle.com/Other-Sup...77312-2-1.html

Last edited by TNB; 05-19-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 PM
bazzhed
Cruiser

sometimes you can find used ones on ebay for pretty cheap. any twin cam 96" from a softail or dyna with forward controls should work. fat bob comes stock with black...as does the xbones and night train i believe.

i picked one up at a dealership for 20 bucks. brand new take off. every once in a while dealers need to get rid of old take off parts that they accrue throughout the year and they will have a "flea market" or "swap meet" in their parking lot. best place to find good take off stuff. get in tight with your local parts guy and find out when they are having one.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:48 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set from a Fat Boy Lo that I had PCed black on my bike. My guy here asked me if I wanted wrinkle black or texture black.. I told him I wanted it to match the case. He said that was texture black. Thats what he used and it is an absolute PERFECT match.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:26 AM
dcgray2
Tourer

I chose to have mine PC'd to match the Denim Black. I like it better than the wrinkle. And yes it looks different from the primary if your bending over looking at it. But it matches the tank and fenders perfectly.

At 60 MPH you can't tell it doesn't match the inner.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:52 AM
Detroit Iron
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

H
Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
The wrinkle Black in Powder Coating (at least at my PCer) was called "Hot Rod Texture Black"..

Keep in mind it's glossier than the engine because it was fresh powdercoating and i hadn't cleaned the engine yet.. and also keep in mind that it won't match the engine 100%, Nor will the Harley Wrinkle Black one that you can buy.. my dad has that one on his NightTrain and you can still see an apparent difference in the blacks.

Thanks for pointing out the proper (or common) terminology of the parts.