Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe rear fender bolt holes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:02 PM
KeeBee
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deluxe rear fender bolt holes

I have tried searching for the answer to this question but I am not finding it. Normally ride solo but a couple times a month the wife rides with me. I am thinking of removing the plastic from the fender and getting some kind of chrome bolts to cover the holes. I don't want them filled in.

What kind of bolts can I use to put in the 3 holes for the luggage rack? I have been using a fender bib but I think it will look better with a bare fender.

Thx for any help.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Soop67
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did that and wouldn't you know I can't remember the size?
If you have an Ace hardware near you take the screws there and use the size guide. At least the Ace near me actually had a fairly good choice of chrome and polished screws. I think they are 3/4-16 or 18. All three are the same size. I picked the allen head dome with washers. Tape is still on the fender in the photo.

Attached Thumbnails Deluxe rear fender bolt holes-img_0658.jpg  
Old 05-16-2011, 05:48 PM
KeeBee
Road Master

Nice! Thx, didn't think of the hardware store figured all their stuff was just non chrome. Going to put felt on the bottom of my luggage rack and seat so I can take the tape off. They did a bad tape job at the factory on mine. All kinds of bubbles and it is pulling up. Tried to heat it up and work the bubbles out they keep coming back. Think it was dirty when they put it on.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 PM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master

Harley sells chrome plugs for blinker relo and other such holes they come in a few sizes also lowes has push in chrome caps,you don't need the bolts the cap will fill it.look on the brukus sight they sell a cap for the fender security screw that goes in the seat tab,they are$1.50 chrome or black

Old 05-16-2011, 06:04 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KeeBee
Nice! Thx, didn't think of the hardware store figured all their stuff was just non chrome. Going to put felt on the bottom of my luggage rack and seat so I can take the tape off. They did a bad tape job at the factory on mine. All kinds of bubbles and it is pulling up. Tried to heat it up and work the bubbles out they keep coming back. Think it was dirty when they put it on.
KeeBee, I removed the clear sticker and used chrome bolts until getting a bib. When I put the p pad on i use some clear static fit plastic about the same thickness as the sticker. I cut it the same size as the sticker. I got it from an auto graphics shop. That way nothing is rubbing on the paint. I think the felt will get dirt in it and eventually scratch the paint.

Stone

Old 05-16-2011, 06:05 PM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master

I will stop buy the stealer and get the part # for you and pm you ,THEY HAVE THE PUSH IN CAPS IN HOME DEPOT OR LOWES I SAW THEM IN ONE OF THEM WHILE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE,IN THE SPECIALTY DRAWS

Last edited by RICHIEMACK; 05-16-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Kee Bee I just went to Harley and bought some chrome torx head bolts and chrome washers.Under neath the chrome washer I put a black rubber washer so it won't scratch the paint.You can't see it. The size is 1/4 20.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:42 PM
KeeBee
Road Master

Thx for all the help and ideas.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I put some plastic White license plate screws with screw covers. They look fine and come out easy. Those chrome Harley plugs fall out.

Mike
NY

Old 05-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Soop67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike NY
I put some plastic White license plate screws with screw covers. They look fine and come out easy. Those chrome Harley plugs fall out.

Mike
NY
Says the guy with the white fender LOL.

20 sounds right for the threading if you decide on the screws. I have read where others have also painted the screws to match the fender. The brukus security bolt cover is a good idea also. I don't know how that system works but I have the solo seat security bolt and it is quite the monument to cones but it is awesome. If somebody were to look at my seat and want it in an illegal way it would make them think....WTF is that? Rather than having a 7/16 wrench or socket and making off with my seat in 7 seconds.

Quick Reply: Deluxe rear fender bolt holes