Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Bolt Covers? Worth doing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011 | 03:12 PM
pickwithaustin
|
Intermediate
Default Chrome Bolt Covers? Worth doing?

Is it worth doing the chrome bolt cover thing?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I know that they create a pain if you have to later remove a bolt for working on the bike, but other than that... are these a bad idea? Do they cheapen up the look, or do they actually add to it?

I'd love to hear opinions of those who've done it, or those who have a reason it should be avoided.

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2011 | 03:14 PM
Texas T
Road Master

I have them on my bike and think they look great...word is the mechanics really hate em...lol...

Old 05-16-2011 | 03:24 PM
jcallesano
Road Warrior

your avatar reminds me of chumly.... ahahah dont take offense to that, I think hes hilarious. They might look good, but if you gotta work on ur rig, ur gonna hate them. I think its kinda tacky but thats just me. I have nothing against them, I just would skip that add on.

Old 05-16-2011 | 03:34 PM
pickwithaustin
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jcallesano
your avatar reminds me of chumly.... ahahah dont take offense to that, I think hes hilarious.

Ouch... though no offense taken.
Just to make sure there's no stereotype, however, he is a much bigger lad than I (this photo was taken this past Friday - I'm with the blue guitar). I figured I better clear that up because I think Chumly is great too... but I hope I'm not cast as him.

Thanks for both the inputs so far. I'm in the middle on this - I think they'd look great, but am unsure too if they'd cause pain later down the line.

Old 05-16-2011 | 03:50 PM
jdsmitty10
Road Captain

I like my hot toppers. They definately improved the ugly bolts... Are they as good as replacing with polished stainless?? Doubt it, but didn't want to get into that...

Old 05-16-2011 | 03:50 PM
likestoride
Advanced

I have them on my bike and think they look great!!! I guess it depends on the person.

Old 05-16-2011 | 04:04 PM
pickwithaustin
|
Intermediate

So do they snap on tight, or is it the silicon that adheres them to the bolt head? I used some on an old '69 Firebird I had some years back, and they snugged on without silicon.

Last edited by pickwithaustin; 05-16-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: fixed typo only
Old 05-16-2011 | 04:20 PM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

Not my cup of tea but to each their own.

Old 05-16-2011 | 04:21 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

I think they will improve your acceleration as your wallet gets lighter for sure

Old 05-16-2011 | 04:40 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

It's really not a question for everyone. I have a bike that is used for show and short rides (very LO usage), more for around town. I have every bolt and nut on the bike detailed in one way or another and it pays off at show time!

I also have a chrome bike that I use daily and it has lots of customs, but I wouldn't put them on that bike because I work on it and If you use your bike a lot they are a pain.

If you are a weekend rider and just bring your bike out to show it off and go for a ride with the your buds from time to time, I could see where you would want to do it then also.

Good luck, oh does your band have a site where we can hear your tunes?

Quick Reply: Chrome Bolt Covers? Worth doing?