Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Bolt Covers? Worth doing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:42 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to not like them, but after seeing them on a buddies bike, I'm planning on getting some. Just the starter kit though, not the whole bike. I think they look good on the engine and primary. Not stop much on calipers, etc. How often do you remove engine and primary bolts anyway?

Old 05-16-2011, 04:58 PM
pickwithaustin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
It's really not a question for everyone. I have a bike that is used for show and short rides (very LO usage), more for around town. I have every bolt and nut on the bike detailed in one way or another and it pays off at show time!

I also have a chrome bike that I use daily and it has lots of customs, but I wouldn't put them on that bike because I work on it and If you use your bike a lot they are a pain.

If you are a weekend rider and just bring your bike out to show it off and go for a ride with the your buds from time to time, I could see where you would want to do it then also.

Good luck, oh does your band have a site where we can hear your tunes?

I like this reply - prefect. In my situation, the bike is more primarily for events and such. It definitely is not a daily rider or for long trips. As for the guitar photo, there isn't a band -- I work with a charity that uses guitars to help bring awareness of the dangers of youth and teen depression and suicide. I formed the nonprofit charity corporation this past December after my teen son committed suicide. We are partners with Bluebonnet Trails (state funded MHMR) and Austin Children's Medical Center. We are also a member of the state's Texas Suicide Prevention Council. The guitar I am holding in the photo is a tribute to my son (who was a great musician). You can learn more about us and see some of our media at http://www.PickWithAustin.com

Old 05-16-2011, 05:03 PM
jdsmitty10
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pickwithaustin
So do they snap on tight, or is it the silicon that adheres them to the bolt head? I used some on an old '69 Firebird I had some years back, and they snugged on without silicon.
Some are real tight some need silicone to stay on. Some are real hard to reach to put on. Especially when it's a tight one

Old 05-16-2011, 05:14 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pickwithaustin
I like this reply - prefect. In my situation, the bike is more primarily for events and such. It definitely is not a daily rider or for long trips. As for the guitar photo, there isn't a band -- I work with a charity that uses guitars to help bring awareness of the dangers of youth and teen depression and suicide. I formed the nonprofit charity corporation this past December after my teen son committed suicide. We are partners with Bluebonnet Trails (state funded MHMR) and Austin Children's Medical Center. We are also a member of the state's Texas Suicide Prevention Council. The guitar I am holding in the photo is a tribute to my son (who was a great musician). You can learn more about us and see some of our media at http://www.PickWithAustin.com
WOW! I can't even imagine that kind of loss. Your one hell of a man to do what your doing and the tribute puts me at a loss for words. I have lots of respect for your strength brother! No reply nessesary.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:41 PM
challutz
Cruiser

I put them on my ride I like them. But they are very addicting.Once you start you wont stop until they are all covered. It was actually fun though cause I did a little at a time. Good luck with your charity,being a musician myself, I think thats an awesome tribute to your son.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:00 PM
pickwithaustin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
WOW! I can't even imagine that kind of loss. Your one hell of a man to do what your doing and the tribute puts me at a loss for words. I have lots of respect for your strength brother! No reply nessesary.

Thank you. I wake up every morning and cry for a few hours. My boy was my best friend in the world. My wife and I got the Harley in hopes that it may help us escape life now and again for a ride. She even bought some boots and is going to take the rider course at the end of this month - she may ride! Meanwhile, I'm also spiffying the bike up a bit... got a real nice 2007 with very, very low miles and it looks really nice.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them on my bike and I work on it.
It's not a show bike, though a buddy keeps trying to get me to enter it.
I even replaced the exposed black zip ties with blue.
Now I just need to mount my new chrome top motor mount...

Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the on my bike and I like them..

Old 05-17-2011, 07:09 AM
pickwithaustin
Intermediate

Decision made. I just won a kit/set off of Ebay, so we'll see how that goes. Thanks all for the input.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:28 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default chrome

I do not find them to be a problem. some are held with silicone which just peels off pretty easy. I think they look better than the stock bolts which to me stand out like a sour thumb to each his own. i always say do what you feel if you like it do it. no one else matters there have been times when i did something and did not like it later had to find out for myself i have bought a few things that i thought i liked and then sold them on e bay

Quick Reply: Chrome Bolt Covers? Worth doing?