Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chain drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011 | 12:35 PM
megametalknot
|
6th Gear
Default chain drive

Hey guys I'm thinking of changeing my crossbones from a belt driven rear tire to a chain driven and no. 1 looking for pros and cons to a chain drive and no. 2 where can I get a kit to do it any input would be helpful thanks

Old 05-16-2011 | 01:09 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

Why would you want to?

Old 05-16-2011 | 01:22 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I see no pros at all. Just my opinion. Chains are are a pain to deal with. Lube, adjust, etc. They also make a mess with all that lube slinging off of them.

Drew

Old 05-16-2011 | 01:37 PM
jrjones
Tourer
Old 05-16-2011 | 01:41 PM
HDUK
Tourer

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I see no pros at all. Just my opinion. Chains are are a pain to deal with. Lube, adjust, etc. They also make a mess with all that lube slinging off of them.

Drew
Im with the Doc here I had 25 years of chain driven bikes and wouldn't go back to one but if you really want to then Exile Cycles do a awesome kit with built on brake caliper it really tides up the rear end it's the kit I would choose if I wanted to go back to a chain

Old 05-16-2011 | 01:52 PM
poppavein
Road Master

Chains make no sense these days. I don't miss them at all.

You won't be able to lube the Exile Cycles chain since the brake is there, so it won't last as long.

Old 05-16-2011 | 01:58 PM
megametalknot
|
6th Gear

thanks for the input I think they look cool is the only reason and the belt they put on the bones looks awlfully skinny bside that fat tire

Old 05-16-2011 | 05:18 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Chains are are a pain to deal with. Lube, adjust, etc. They also make a mess with all that lube slinging off of them.
This just isn't true with a modern o-ring chain. The only purpose of lube is to keep the rollers on the chain moving freely. O-ring chains have lube on the inside of the rollers and the o-rings keep it from getting out. I never lube my chain. I check the rollers once a year and if any are stiff I replace the chain. I usually get 3-5 years out of a chain depending on how much rain I get caught in. After the initial stretch of a new chain it needs very little adjustment. And I can change the chain in less than ten minutes...try that with a belt.

Old 05-16-2011 | 05:33 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by jrjones
Good place to get it. I've had mine on for over 25,000 miles now and none of the above stated problems. I use an O-ring and even though they say it doesn't need lubed I lube it about every 1,000 miles or so anyway. Minimal mess, and can be fixed on the side of the road if there is a problem with it.

I know that belts last a long time but a chain will as well with just a little attention.

Don't really care what the rest of you think about whether or not my running a chain is a good idea. I like it and as long as I'm paying the bills for my bike....what I like is all that matters.

Old 05-16-2011 | 05:39 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
This just isn't true with a modern o-ring chain. The only purpose of lube is to keep the rollers on the chain moving freely. O-ring chains have lube on the inside of the rollers and the o-rings keep it from getting out. I never lube my chain. I check the rollers once a year and if any are stiff I replace the chain. I usually get 3-5 years out of a chain depending on how much rain I get caught in. After the initial stretch of a new chain it needs very little adjustment. And I can change the chain in less than ten minutes...try that with a belt.

OK, that does look cool. Might not make my short list, but it's on my research list for sure. Also cool that you can throw a new chain on in minutes and not have to pull the wheel off on the side of the road.

Quick Reply: chain drive