Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chain drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011 | 05:55 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
Also cool that you can throw a new chain on in minutes and not have to pull the wheel off on the side of the road.
Along with not having to remove the entire primary and taking the swingarm loose.

Old 05-16-2011 | 06:02 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

I like a belt on the new stuff, but a modern chain is not much hassle. Use a good quality o-ring chain and your lubing is limited to wiping down the sideplates with WD40 or similar. That's mainly to keep it from rusting. Not much gets thrown off of the chain because there isn't much on it to throw.

Old 05-16-2011 | 07:20 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
your lubing is limited to wiping down the sideplates with WD40 or similar. That's mainly to keep it from rusting.

You can get them nickel plated(looks like chrome) cad plated gold, or powder coated in a mirage of colors...so rust is not even an issue.

Old 05-16-2011 | 07:26 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hspring03
Why would you want to?
If you boost the shtt out of the motor...chain makes sense...otherwise....no good reason...better move is to go belt for primary.

Old 05-16-2011 | 07:43 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
You can get them nickel plated(looks like chrome) cad plated gold, or powder coated in a mirage of colors...so rust is not even an issue.
What'll they think of next?

Old 05-16-2011 | 08:01 PM
poppavein
Road Master

The only reason to "lube" modern o-ring chains is to keep the o-rings in good shape. The chain fails soon after the o-rings get compromised and then the rollers lose their packed lube.

A modern o-ring chain should be good for 20k miles with proper care. A belt should go 100k?

But this forum is more about what looks good ... I have a great looking chain with gold side-plates on one of my Ducatis!

Old 05-16-2011 | 10:39 PM
honkylips
Road Captain

Chains are much stronger, so if you're running a high HP motor, that's an advantage. You can also run a sprotor brake setup so you can show off your fancy rear wheel on the right side. Other than that, it's really just for looks or personal preference. Let's face it, a lot of mods done to Harley's are to just to make the bike look cooler, and have no real useful purpose other than that.

I'll probably do a chain conversion at some point just to clean up the rear of the bike some more. My bike is really stripped down to the bare essentials, so i'd like to take it that much further once i'm able to ($$$).

Old 05-16-2011 | 11:45 PM
megametalknot
|
6th Gear

This is what I'm looking for a good discussion on it other than why do u want to do it but here are the draw backs to running chain and here are the draw backs to running belts one hand belts last longer but are a bi**h to change. Chains don't last as long but are cool to look at clean up the rear end and are easy to change compared to the belts. My next question is with the rotor part of the sproket how do u lube the chain w/o getting oil on it and if u do how does it effect brakeing its got to some how

thanks for the input

Old 05-17-2011 | 04:39 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior

http://www.3guyz.com/index.php?optio...=83&Itemid=141

Last edited by Weevil; 05-17-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2011 | 04:54 AM
echos67
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
This just isn't true with a modern o-ring chain. The only purpose of lube is to keep the rollers on the chain moving freely. O-ring chains have lube on the inside of the rollers and the o-rings keep it from getting out. I never lube my chain. I check the rollers once a year and if any are stiff I replace the chain. I usually get 3-5 years out of a chain depending on how much rain I get caught in. After the initial stretch of a new chain it needs very little adjustment. And I can change the chain in less than ten minutes...try that with a belt.

This looks great Tom, do you have any pictures showing the other side, as well as a link to where you got this set-up ?

Quick Reply: chain drive