Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing the TSM Turn Signal Module

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011 | 07:49 PM
michla
|
Advanced
Default replacing the TSM Turn Signal Module

The service manual suggest using a *new* TSM when replacing. I have access to a another used TSM for my '01 FXSTI--does anybody know if I can program (steps in Service Manual) a used TSM with my existing ECM ? Will the procedure "over-write" any existing DTC codes in the used TSM or is it a one-shot deal ?
Tech at local Harley shop says codes show "alarm short to ground" even though there is no security circuit. Just the same, replacing TSM is advised.
thx

Old 05-16-2011 | 12:41 PM
jstdadd
Intermediate
Default Replacing TSM

If you are not going from Security to No Security, or the other way, just replace it. On my 2005 Heritage Softail it is behind the mud guard in front of the rear wheel, it is maybe 8" long and 2" wide by 3/4 inch thick. You push on both tabs at the same time to get the cable off. Just remove the whole mess with the cable on it, it is much easier to get the cable off with the TSM in your hand.

A NEW TSM is just that - new. I bought a used one, but I am a little better trained in electronics and vehicle electrical than the average bear. A new one A) should have no problem, and B) can be returned if it has an issue out of the box.

Symptoms: On my bike, when we ride two up and hit a big bump (bottoming out the suspension), the engine stutters. Single-up, the same if I hit a really big bump. The TSM has an angle-of-tilt sensor (accelerometer) system in it - will also shut off the ignition and fuel (on injected bike) if the bike falls over. In a wreck, will turn off the fuel pump (similar system in a fuel-injected car). You want it there for safety if you hit something or dump the bike. You can't operate the bike without it.

I am guessing that my issue was that the worn out TSM angle sensor was too active on small inputs, i.e. a small bump with a big shock (bottoming out the suspension 2-up) would make it 'activate' the engine cut-off. After the bump it would stutter and then run great until the next bump.

Old 05-16-2011 | 11:00 PM
michla
|
Advanced

If you are not going from Security to No Security, or the other way, just replace it.
Yes, but it still has to be programmed to match the ECM, correct-regardless of having security or not.