Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:25 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

New bike probably won't need new lifters either, our wrench usually suggest's them if bike has over 15k.

didn't do mine, but though about it,, dealer had a winter special 2yrs ago, included, cams, lifters, oils changed and Labor, plus they threw in a free dyno tune when done... all for $875.

I just let them do it for that...

Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 PM
rrambo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fcsallan
If you're still interested in knowing what to expect, look at the quick how to at the bottom of this page.

http://fuelmotousa.com/cams.htm
doesn't seem so hard after looking at that

Old 05-13-2011, 03:19 PM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
I've got a lift table and all the tools........ just grab the cams and the pushrods. Oh, and the tuner that you'll need......
I have a FuelPak installed.. nobody seems to care for them around here.. but it seems to do the job.. VH has maps for my mods if I do a cam swap... I got the FuelPak out of necessity and low price.. if I do the cams I will probably eventually do the PCV from FuelMoto

Old 05-13-2011, 03:32 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Well you just need the cams then. And an o-ring or 2. And pushrods if you want to save some hassle. It really is an easy job though, and easily done in just a little while.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:34 PM
rrambo
Tourer

Well you just need the cams then. And an o-ring or 2. And pushrods if you want to save some hassle. It really is an easy job though, and easily done in just a little while.
so, what's the deal on the pushrods?? why replace?? pros/cons

Old 05-13-2011, 04:10 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

You may have to replace the pushrods, depending on the cam you choose. It's because of the base circle on the cam. If you can and want to keep your pushrods, you have to get into the rocker boxes and lift the gas tank out of the way. Some guys figure at that point, I may as well take off the heads, have them re-worked and install one of the big bore kits or new pistons with their cylinders bored out. Throw in a thinner head gasket as well to up the compression. If you go with adjustables, you cut off your pushrods with a bolt cutter and reinstall the adjustables without having mess with the top end or take off the gas tank.Regardless, you'll need new o-rings for the tubes and some o-rings in the cam chest, gasket for the cam cover.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:18 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

What he said ^^^^.......
Cutting the old ones and using adjustables cuts the time in half. It also allows you to adjust potential 'tics' out. It also makes any future work in the cam chest a hell of a lot easier because you don't have to go back through the rockers. That's the pros. The only con, in my opinion, is it's another $150-ish. But I think it's well worth the $$ to avoid the hassle of going through the top.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:34 AM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by roadkingharry
You may have to replace the pushrods, depending on the cam you choose. It's because of the base circle on the cam. If you can and want to keep your pushrods, you have to get into the rocker boxes and lift the gas tank out of the way. Some guys figure at that point, I may as well take off the heads, have them re-worked and install one of the big bore kits or new pistons with their cylinders bored out. Throw in a thinner head gasket as well to up the compression. If you go with adjustables, you cut off your pushrods with a bolt cutter and reinstall the adjustables without having mess with the top end or take off the gas tank.Regardless, you'll need new o-rings for the tubes and some o-rings in the cam chest, gasket for the cam cover.
AH... now it makes perfect sense.. thanks!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:35 AM
rrambo
Tourer

What he said ^^^^.......
Cutting the old ones and using adjustables cuts the time in half. It also allows you to adjust potential 'tics' out. It also makes any future work in the cam chest a hell of a lot easier because you don't have to go back through the rockers. That's the pros. The only con, in my opinion, is it's another $150-ish. But I think it's well worth the $$ to avoid the hassle of going through the top.
got it.. seems well worth it to replace them then..

Old 05-14-2011, 11:42 AM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have always wondered about the weight of the adjustable push rods. I know that they must be heavier that the stockers, but by how much, and does it hurt performance or longevity any way.

Quick Reply: New cams