Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011 | 08:51 AM
imslypig
|
Novice
Default Backfiring

Hey friends - I have a '97 Heritage. It has started backfiring a bit as it is running especially when cold about every 10 seconds...I'm in FL so it's not really cold. Going down the highway is fine but backfires a lot when backing off throttle. I checked fuel filter = it's fine, plugs look fine maybe a bit lean.

Any ideas?
thx

Old 05-13-2011 | 09:52 AM
bbeavers76
Road Captain

What size jets? After market A/c or Exhaust? Try backing out your mixture screw on your carb a turn or two.

Old 05-13-2011 | 10:33 AM
imslypig
|
Novice

Originally Posted by bbeavers76
What size jets? After market A/c or Exhaust? Try backing out your mixture screw on your carb a turn or two.
Thanks I'll give that a try. Yes aftermarket exhaust. This just started though.

Old 05-13-2011 | 11:16 AM
bbeavers76
Road Captain

let me know if that works.

Old 05-14-2011 | 07:59 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Something is making your bike run leaner... my guess would be clogged jets or a vacuum leak. At least, that's where I would look first. Vacuum leak is easiest to test... spray water around hoses, intake manifold, and carb. If the idle rises, you have a leak.

Try seafoam in your gas... half a can per tank for the next few tanks.

Old 05-14-2011 | 08:23 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master

The bike isn't running lean. It's backfiring because the air coming in through the back of the exhaust is burning the un-burnt fuel up near the header pipes. You may need to reduce the enrichment a tad. It's a compromise....a bit of backfiring on deceleration, or a slightly lean running engine where all of the fuel is burnt before the exhaust. A slightly smaller diameter baffle will also help.

Old 05-14-2011 | 02:01 PM
imslypig
|
Novice
Default Vacuum line

let me know if that works.
The vacuum line is connected to the carb but loose on the other end when I took it off. Where does this connect to?

Old 05-14-2011 | 04:29 PM
imslypig
|
Novice
Default Thanks!

Took the carb off to drill out the mixture screw plug. Turned out 3/4 turn, reinstalled and it works perfectly. Not a pop, caugh or anything. Thanks bbeavers76!

It's funny I was looking at your Converse shoes and that is what I was wearing Friday....and I'm 65! = refuse to grow up!

Old 05-16-2011 | 08:38 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

That screw didn't move until you adjusted it and if, as you say, there were no changes (including you didn't move to a lower elevation) you are simply covering up the real cause. It may show up later again. If the vacuum hose was 'loose' that would be a good place to start.

C#

Old 05-16-2011 | 09:15 AM
imslypig
|
Novice

Originally Posted by cwsharp
That screw didn't move until you adjusted it and if, as you say, there were no changes (including you didn't move to a lower elevation) you are simply covering up the real cause. It may show up later again. If the vacuum hose was 'loose' that would be a good place to start.

C#
I've been messin with baffles etc and I think this may be the change that created the unbalance...??

On the way to work this AM I noticed that there was gas coming out of the overflow hose on the bottom of carb. Could it be I dislodged a bit of grid that is interfering with the float needle?

Quick Reply: Backfiring