Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Threw in the towel

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:22 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by nikonf8
Thank you all for your support. When i heard that they had no idea when the tires would arrive that was it. I was thinking about the led headlight and passing lamps but would not show as much as that tire and rim would have for almost the same money
I saw a display of the LED lights at bikeweek in March. Very impressive... and yet another thing that Harley sells as a custom item that should be stock from the factory IMHO.

C#

Old 05-13-2011, 01:51 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 21

Well to be honest I feel a little let down but also relieved. Like i said i got caught up in the 21 thing looking at all these other sleds which have one and they look good. But in reality it was never a 100% decision with me. When i ordered it i still had thoughts that i may have made a mistake. I then talked myself into it thinking its not something i cant change back and i am, sure i could have sold the set up with minimal loss i had got every thing at a decent price. while waiting all this time my mind was running again as always and i felt like i had made a mistake . After finding out the other day that no one knew when these tires were going to show up not to mention that they are getting $300 dollars or better for them now. Ride wright is getting at least $300 and others are up to $325 this was the turning point.Maybe its like Dr V said im done with this bike i just keep looking for things to buy and its getting harder all the time. I am considering the LED head light and passing lamps but feel like its a rip off at about 800 dollars. I have made mistakes in the past and have sold items at a loss . I still have a brand new lepera bare bones gel setting in my garage thinking i needed one of them and that i could change seats back and forth but with the addition of the rear crash bars and the way my seat rail is mounted its probably not going to happen. not to mention the swing arm bag that would not mount with crash bars. the side mounted license plate bracket that would have looked pretty bad on my bike and a few other things that have cost me. any way still thinking about the beach bars and the led head lamps

Old 05-13-2011, 06:31 AM
4-Banger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you Mike, I too have a bunch of stuff in the garage not being used...

My sig pic is not recent, I've since tossed the signals, gone to 16" flyin apes (thanks to this forum), smooth struts, & a DNA super spoke brakester. To me, 16s fit the FLs best. I also wanted to show off the rear wheel better, didn't want 18s either, so I lost the rotor & went w/the brakester...

Old 05-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I like your bike the way you've got it set up and I think it would be hard to make something so beautiful look even better.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:06 PM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
The lead time is for the tire, not the wheel. I was talking to Sam at RW at Laughlin, he was telling me he had 15 wheels lined up waiting for the Vee Rubber tires. He told me was getting some flown in from Thailand to fill his orders.

Drew
One time a specific tire manufacture informed me that they were out of a particular model tire and that they actually had to be "manufactured" before they could ship them to me. At the time, I was ok with it but I was also glad that they informed me about the delay.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:17 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TNB
One time a specific tire manufacture informed me that they were out of a particular model tire and that they actually had to be "manufactured" before they could ship them to me. At the time, I was ok with it but I was also glad that they informed me about the delay.
When I sell something I let people know the same as does Ride Wright. Common sense.

Drew

Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I for one am glad at your decision. Your bike is one of the sweetest Deluxe's on this forum... AS IS.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:15 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nikonf8
After six weeks of waiting for my ride wright 21 inch 50 spoke fat daddy rim and v rubber tire i decided to throw in the towel and i canceled my order. I started having second thoughts a couple of weeks ago and the extra time helped me make the decision. I really feel i was just following the pack on this one and that what i have right now is really me. I have had the fat daddy rims on my bike now over four years and they are still as nice looking as the day i got them. The 21 is a nice look but i was straying off the path that i have been on for years. Its a trend right now the 21 apes and fat daddy wheels. Almost every one on the forum has this set up or wants it. It's not about the money I have spent my share. I am going to stick with my 16 inch fat daddy rims. I am sure I can find some thing else to spend it on. Here I am waiting on a tire that may or may not meet the quality standards I want and I am not sure i will like the way it will handle. Maybe I'll take another look at it when the 120 70 21 tires come more readily available. My last cAll about the tire was very negative saying they now had no idea when these tires will show up in the good old usa
Nikon, Good choice. Your sled doesnt need a 21. Its sick just the way it is.

Stone

Old 05-13-2011, 09:02 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Well you know the 21 looks killer but as I have previously said many times, I don't care for the way it handles. I lowered my front end 2 inches which helped with the front end dive (everyone describes as quick handling) but it is still not as good as stock. I am running the 90 Avon on a 3 inch rim and I am sure the 3.5 with a 120 makes these tendacies worse...more unsprung weight and another inch in diameter can only make the issue worse...not better. I am thinking an 18 or 19 with an overall diameter and weight as stock, would be a good compromise for looks and near to stock handling.

Anyway...your bike looks killer already. If you have an itch...go for the beach bars.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:29 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Well you know the 21 looks killer but as I have previously said many times, I don't care for the way it handles. I lowered my front end 2 inches which helped with the front end dive (everyone describes as quick handling) but it is still not as good as stock. I am running the 90 Avon on a 3 inch rim and I am sure the 3.5 with a 120 makes these tendacies worse...more unsprung weight and another inch in diameter can only make the issue worse...not better. I am thinking an 18 or 19 with an overall diameter and weight as stock, would be a good compromise for looks and near to stock handling.

Anyway...your bike looks killer already. If you have an itch...go for the beach bars.
That sounds pretty good may be something to thing about

Quick Reply: Threw in the towel