Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a Fuelpak or something?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Wabbit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Do I need a Fuelpak or something?

Hello all,
My 2011 Fat Boy Lo is in at the dealership getting some stuff swapped, including the exhaust. I am putting on the Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered (black) exhaust with the quiet baffles/ Smartpartz baffles combo, and a Performance Machines Universal Super Gas air cleaner.

The dealership is installing this, but they never mentioned anything about some stuff I've seen mentioned here, like Fuelpak and Power Commander, etc.

Is this something you buy and add to the bike? Is this something I should look into? Which should I go with?

Thanks for any help!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:32 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wabbit
Hello all,
My 2011 Fat Boy Lo is in at the dealership getting some stuff swapped, including the exhaust. I am putting on the Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered (black) exhaust with the quiet baffles/ Smartpartz baffles combo, and a Performance Machines Universal Super Gas air cleaner.

The dealership is installing this, but they never mentioned anything about some stuff I've seen mentioned here, like Fuelpak and Power Commander, etc.

Is this something you buy and add to the bike? Is this something I should look into? Which should I go with?

Thanks for any help!
If you're just planning on doing Stage 1 and no further engine mods, then I'd recommend the FuelPak. Especially since you're doing the V&H pipes (which is what I have). It's simple plug and play. You can install it and set it up in about 5 minutes at home. It's a tight fit under the LO's seat, but it'll does fit and works great. However if you're planning on doing more engine mods, you'll want to look at something beefier. Maybe a Power Commander. But either way, if you're changing out your air to a high flow, you do need to get something. If you're just doing the pipes, you're okay for now without it.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

If the dealer is doing the Stage I, they should automatically be doing the Stage I flash update to the ECM. I'd call them to see if it's included. Either way, if you decide to go with a FuelPak you'll need to know if it has the Stage I flash or not in order for V&H to send you the right map for the FuelPak.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:56 PM
jed1069
Road Master

Contact Jamie at fuelmotousa.com He will set you up with a Powercommander with the right map. I would go powercommander over the fuel pak because even if you convince yourself you will never do any more to the engine you never really know Then all you would need would be a new map. Fuelpak is not great for additional mods.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jed1069
Contact Jamie at fuelmotousa.com He will set you up with a Powercommander with the right map. I would go powercommander over the fuel pak because even if you convince yourself you will never do any more to the engine you never really know Then all you would need would be a new map. Fuelpak is not great for additional mods.
Yep, I agree. PC V.

You don't actually need it, because the ECM of todays bikes manage the fuel just fine. I have the V/H 2 into 2 with the S/E A/C w/Stage I. I have NO popping, backfire or any issues at all. I'm very happy with it and would only add a PC V if issues of fuel management came into play.

I have a friend that also has a lo and has a PC V, but he had some popping on decel and that's why he got it. Both of ours are 2010's.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Wabbit
Tourer

Thanks for the information, gents!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Gray_Drifter
Cruiser

You don't really need to do anything, because the narrow band sensors in exhaust pipe will maintain the factory preset 14.7 AFR even with the new pipes and aircleaner. As long as you're happy with the way it runs, you're good to go.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:58 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts
Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Wabbit
Tourer

Thanks All!